Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: BlackBerry 9320 OS 7.1
My Carrier: WIND Mobile

BlackBerry Update Process, Strange BB ID Upgrade

I've had some prior bad experience with a certain person tampering with my mobile which they had physical access to so I've switched to BB (9320 w/ OS7.1) and also am weary of suspicious behaviour. This week I've been getting strange "official-looking" messages (notifications?) asking to upgrade my BlackBerryID. I opened the message and clicked "upgrade" fully planning on cancelling once it hit the "enter device password" step in the process...only problem is that it never did. It downloaded, "installed", and asked me to reboot which I did.

Is this "normal" or have I just installed an exploit/malware on my BB?

Did RIM just release a new version of BlackBerry ID last week? How do I tell what version is installed? How do I tell if it's legit?

Why does it not show up in any app list? Aren't all apps supposed to be installed/updated/removed through App World? Isn't a device password required for all modifications? What's with the inconsistency? How is it possible for an app to update/install without this requirement?
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Update Process, Strange BB ID Upgrade

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That's a lot of questions...I'll try to answer them one by one...but, in general, I think that it's all legit.

Kab00sh wrote:
I've had some prior bad experience with a certain person tampering with my mobile which they had physical access to so I've switched to BB (9320 w/ OS7.1) and also am weary of suspicious behaviour.

You therefore really should consider using a device lock password. This will prevent anyone else from doing anything with your BB. Of course, if you suspect they will try, you should also do regular backups just in case they try too many times and the device wipes itself clean. You can find full backup instructions via the link in my auto-sig on this post.

Kab00sh wrote:
This week I've been getting strange "official-looking" messages (notifications?) asking to upgrade my BlackBerryID. I opened the message and clicked "upgrade" fully planning on cancelling once it hit the "enter device password" step in the process...only problem is that it never did. It downloaded, "installed", and asked me to reboot which I did.

Is this "normal" or have I just installed an exploit/malware on my BB?

For the Identity app, that may well be normal. Some updates are not via the security controlled channels, and are instead tied into the OS update channel, which does not go through the BBID verification process. You still have to have said "yes", so indeed you did agree to the installation, even though it didn't prompt for any credentials.

Kab00sh wrote:

Did RIM just release a new version of BlackBerry ID last week?

We have no "back channel" access to officially know the answer to that, but given the quantity of posts here in the forums concerning updates to the Identity app, I'd guess that the answer to your question is yes.

Kab00sh wrote:
How do I tell what version is installed?

KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on the BlackBerry smartphone

Kab00sh wrote:
How do I tell if it's legit?

I've never heard of an illegitimate version of it.

Kab00sh wrote:

Why does it not show up in any app list?

It does...see the above KB link. On the device, it's called the Identity App rather than BBID.

Kab00sh wrote:
Aren't all apps supposed to be installed/updated/removed through App World?

No. There are many methods for installing apps. For Core apps (of which Identity is one), those come out via the OS update channel rather than via AppWorld. AppWorld is for add-on and 3rd party apps, not core.

Kab00sh wrote:
Isn't a device password required for all modifications?

No. Core app and OS updates come via a different channel, which does not use the same authentications. Further, updates via AppWorld also don't require any entry of any passwords.

Kab00sh wrote:
What's with the inconsistency?

Things work the way they work. AW distributed apps work one way, OS/core app distribution works a different way. That's just the way it is.

Kab00sh wrote:
How is it possible for an app to update/install without this requirement?

As per all of the above.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code