Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry App World won't launch

Hi,

I have a BB Bold 9780 v 6. I wanted to access BB App World to download an app, but the BB App World icon on home screen is 'frozen' and won't respond, so I can't access BB App World.

Can anyone help,

Cheers

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry App World won't launch

Hello,

Please first try a hard reset: With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

In addition, you can try this sequence:

1) Remove AppWorld from your BB

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • If it requests that you reboot the BB, do so

2) Do a Batt-Pull reboot (power on, remove battery, wait, insert battery, wait), even if redundant to the one you did in step 1.

3) Install (on your BB) a fresh copy of AppWorld

4) Do another Batt-Pull reboot

5) See if it now works.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi, thanks very much for your swift response. I followed your instructions, but alas the icon is still 'frozen', no response when I click on it. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Hall of Famer II

Hmmm...OK, next I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode and if the behavior does not continue, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then there will be more drastic steps to take...

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi, thanks again for the swift reply. Started the phone in Safe Mode and the BB app icon is still frozen, all other icons on the home screen launch when pressed.

Is there anything else besides drastic action? 

Cheers

Hall of Famer II

With all that we've now tried, all non-drastic attempts are, as far as I know, exhausted. The next step is a device wipe...but be sure you get a good backup first.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Ok thanks, can you point me in the direction for info on a device wipe,

cheers

Hall of Famer II

First, the backup you should do...

1. If you are not on BBM7, conduct an on-device Backup of your BBM Contacts to either Device or Media Card Memory
    • KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list
  2. Via Mass Storage Mode (which allows you to treat your BlackBerry device as a USB storage device on your computer), copy the entire contents of your Device and Media Card Memory areas to your computer
    • KB11879 What is mass storage mode
  3. Using the Desktop Software, conduct a full backup of your BlackBerry device to your computer
    • The Desktop Software is available via this link
    • KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows
    • KB18776 Back up and restore BlackBerry smartphone data on a Mac computer using BlackBerry Desktop Software
    • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list
  4. Make sure 100% that you know your BB ID / AppWorld credentials, including any case sensitivity, special characters, etc. If your BB ID is associated to an email account that you can only access via your BB, this would be a good time to change that...if needed, password reset emails ARE NOT delivered to the BB under any circumstances.
    • KB32514 How to change or update a BlackBerry ID username on a BlackBerry smartphone
  5. Make a manual inventory of all apps you have obtained from other than AppWorld, including source code (e.g., URLs, ALX files, etc.) and any license or activation keys required. AppWorld retains the ability to reinstall all of your AW acquired apps, but there is no way to know if your other app sources do the same.

Now you are ready to conduct the device WIPE:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

Once the device WIPE completes, it will likely reboot and start over as if the BB was brand new again...it should walk you through some mandatory things, including associating it to a BB ID -- be absolutely sure that you use the exact same BBID that you validated in step 4 above.

AppWorld may or may not be still resident on your BB after this...if not, then return up to Post 2 in this thread for the location to re-acquire it.

Before proceeding with anything else, test to see if AppWorld is working OK now. If so, then proceed to reverse the process you did above for taking the backups and reinstall your apps, reconfigure your BB, and restore from all of the backups.

If AppWorld continues to be an issue, then the next drastic step will be needed...a complete OS reload. Let us know how the WIPE works out and, if needed, we can provide you the process for the reload.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates