Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Should Allow Apps to Run from Media Card

What is the point of having a media card, if you cannot download apps from the Blackberry App World? I have downloaded 7 apps from it and I am out of space. So much for downloading anything else from it.
New Developer
My Device: iPhone 3G

Re: Blackberry Should Allow Apps to Run from Media Card

Actually, why limit it to just downloads from the App World? This should apply to *ANY* and *ALL* installations. Give us the choice RIM.. please...
Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Think about it... it's called a media card, so its purpose on BlackBerry devices is to store media files... music, videos, pictures.
Now, why did RIM not allow applications to be stored to the media card? I think it's because BlackBerry applications deeply integrate into the BlackBerry OS (for facebook notifications or Google Calendar synchronization for example), so it could be dangerous if a user removed the media card.

it would be as if, on your PC, you removed the WINNT folder or the "Program Files" folder.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

That may be the case, but I sure do miss being able to store and run applications from my media card on my Palm Treo. I stored games, ebook applications, etc. Since I never took my media card out of my phone, I never had a problem.
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

It certainly would be nice to have the choice.  Survival of the fittest would of course apply.  Anyone stupid enough to erase a system folder on their PC probably shouldn't have the PC in the first place (barring accidents of course).  Hell, my Nintendo 64 used to say "do not remove memory pak" when saving/loading.  So what did I do?  Certainly anything but remove the memory pak. 

I think it's understood that running apps from the media card COULD potentially be dangerous, but I don't think any more dangerous than situations that we put 12 year olds in (hence the N64 reference.)  If the only reason for not implimenting this sort of technology is that SOME people might pull the media card out, then I don't think there is good reason at all not to.  If people want to ignore protocol and procedure and ruin their phones, then let them spend hundreds of dollars replacing it, while the rest of us who don't even TOUCH the media card run a decent amount of apps on our 500 dollar phones.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald "The Crack-Up" (1936)
Guru I

Molsem wrote:

It certainly would be nice to have the choice.  Survival of the fittest would of course apply.

I think the main idea of consumer products is that even the worse consumer can survive and use their device.

Molsem wrote:

If people want to ignore protocol and procedure and ruin their phones, then let them spend hundreds of dollars replacing it, while the rest of us who don't even TOUCH the media card run a decent amount of apps on our 500 dollar phones.

I also think that a consumer shouldn't have to know what a protocol is and a procedure is. In my opinion, the job of RIM is exactly the opposite : deliver a fail-proof product even for dummies or people not aware of what an application is.

We do enough support for people who hide files and do not know how to unhide them...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Well in my opinion that is just proof that those people are overreaching their technological boundaries.  Moderation applies to everything from alcohol to technology.  If you have reservations about your ability to perform even trivial, mundane tasks with a new piece of equipment, then you should probably steer clear, or attempt to educate yourself using better channels (Crackberry anyone?) before begging others to solve your problems for you.

Besides, the BlackBerry name IMPLIES a higher level of technological communication.  I don't know if you've seen the commercial from Verizon Wireless, but a woman gets a call from her husband (boyfriend?) who is sitting on the couch, and she pretends to talk to his butt.  Then, his butt "hangs up on her," the whole point of the commercial being a plug for a flip screen Pearl device.  Then, the announcer makes a statement along the lines of "Finally, a BlackBerry for the rest of us."  I think this is a clear example that in the mainstream consumer world, Blackberries are KNOWN to have a slightly higher learning curve, and are rather advanced.  Hence, the "smart" in smart phone.

There are always people who are a little behind on the technology.  If no one ever pushed the boundaries of technology past what the average person is comfortable with, we'd NEVER have anything new.  Allowing apps to run from the Media Card wouldn't even BE something new, as stated earlier in this thread, there are other devices out there that are currently already offering this option.  That doesn't make RIM consumer friendly, it makes RIM "behind the times."

Guru I

I understand your point of view, and as a "early adopter" and a power user of most of the tech things I own, I do understand that there cannot be improvement if the people like you and me do not "struggle" a bit to master powerful tools. I believe the first time cars appeared, it was hard to tell people "you have to learn and pass an exam to be allowed to use something you have bought the price of 3 months of hardly earned salary".

But I also think that BlackBerry has started a global campaign of "our devices are as easy as a 1990 mobile phone", so I still believe that the aim of RIM if to get a device that is as good as previous BlackBerry devices, but more fail proof. Of course, it does not always work. The Media Manager is a piece of joke for example, but it's purpose is to prevent people to have to understand what codecs are and what transcoding tool you have to install.

My opinion about a hitech device is like the Firefox movie with Clint Eastwood : "think and the machine executes". Today's BlackBerry consumer cannot bother having to think (too much) to get things done. That does have a price, it's that some features are not available (at least, not until they are made fail proof).

New features are there, it can't be denied, but they just come very slow. I do not think that RIM really cares of being the first one to release a feature (except the SurePress thing and XVID decoding).

Contributor

Now that a RIM phone has taken the number one sales spot away from the iPhone, I'm sure this is the case.  RIM has a pretty strong hold on the smartphone market, and things will probably only get better for them.  I feel as though the iPhone, like the iPod, and Mac items in general, are mostly driven by "consumerism," where people claim superiority of those items just because they probably own one, or got sucked under the bus, so to speak, and hopped on the "cool kids" bandwagon.  At least most of my friends who have Apple products feel this way... slightly stuck up just because I prefer PC's interchangability to Mac, and they "know" that macs are a thousand times better, without question.

I hope they can devise a way to "**bleep** proof" a system to allow us to run apps from the media card, because while its lack offers a safe haven for new, or casual BB users, it is a major drawback for us power users who understand the technology a little more, and have enough real world tech experience and knowledge to know that removing the card while running apps from it is similar to unplugging an external hard drive while watching a movie from it on your PC.  It just doesn't make sense to do.

Here's to hoping! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Why not make enabling the media card for app installs an advanced option with a discalimer.  I have to click "agree" or something knowing what I am getting in to?