Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: Not Specified

Can BlackBerry Messenger be hacked?

I'm just wondering if there have been any cases of Blackberry Messenger being hacked into without actually having the BlackBerry? A friend of mine had a full converstation I had with someone else but this person never had access to either one of our BlackBerry's. Is it possible that someone could "access" our information or could it only come from one of the BlackBerry users?  If it is possible, how can I safeguard against it happening in the future? Thank you for your help.
Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can BlackBerry Messenger be hacked?

[ Edited ]

No, it simply is currently not possible as you described.

IF you allowed another person about 15-20 minutes of use with your UNprotected (password off) BlackBerry, they could install a program, it is conceivable they could load an application which could capture and transmit information to another device.

But, again, you would see data activity, the app would be present in your applications list and there are so many other factors.

Aside from the fact you let them have the device unsecured... they would have to either have the OTA install of the app ready to go and get on your BlackBerry browser to load it, or remove your media card and move the app to your media card and install from there, OR, connect your BlackBerry to a PC with Desktop Manager and be ready to install from there. 

So, it's very unlikely unless you've left yours laying around for an extended period as described.

I have a feeling you have a friend with a loose mouth.

Message Edited by JSanders on 09-22-2009 01:08 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Sorm
My Carrier: Verizon

I was wondering if you could tell me which application and how to download it to a blackberry 8100. I would like to know what my child is messaging because lately he has been getting in allot of trouble. If you can I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

No, it simply is currently not possible as you described.

IF you allowed another person about 15-20 minutes of use with your UNprotected (password off) BlackBerry, they could install a program, it is conceivable they could load an application which could capture and transmit information to another device.

But, again, you would see data activity, the app would be present in your applications list and there are so many other factors.

Aside from the fact you let them have the device unsecured... They would have to either have the OTA install of the app ready to go and get on your BlackBerry browser to load it, or remove your media card and move the app to your media card and install from there, OR, connect your BlackBerry to a PC with Desktop Manager and be ready to install from there. 

So, it's very unlikely unless you've left yours laying around for an extended period as described.

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

There are a few of those invasive applications floating around. While I don't really agree with spying on your child (or kid leashes...), I've seen a few of these floating around.

BlackTrack (There are a few free versions of this)

SMSRelay

SMS Statistics

Just hope your apparently trouble-making child doesn't find this. I can't imainge they'll be too pleased.

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX