Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Curve 8900 - Unable to install App World

Hello everyone,

I am a french Curve 8900 user. I just updated my OS (going from 4.6 to 5.0.0.130) and it seems that  access to "App World" is prohibited to me since ... Let me explain:

I tried unsuccessfully all the installation methods available at fr.blackberry.com (with Internet Explorer version 8) as follows:

Method A

Installating from my Curve 8900 using the link provided by "App World Download" email (ie : 

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld )

Result : message in french "Un probleme est survenu lors de la tentative de restitution de la page"  

(translation could be "A problem occurred while trying to return to the page" )

Method B

Installing from the Desktop
Result : message in french "Appareil BlackBerry introuvable"
(translation could be :" BlackBerry Device Not Found")

Method C

Installating after creation of an ID and selecting an app to download:
Result:

The first two steps run smoothly:
1 - App World Browser Plug-In is well recognized
2 - Selection of  PIN device and connecting via USB cable works fine.
{Surprisingly, at this stage of the method C my Blackberry is fully recognized when the method B had failed to recognize it)

3 - the third stage which corresponds to the "App World" sofware update starts well: I enter my code, the download starts, as announced my bby goes off and then restarts, but afterwards the "wheel" keeps turning ... indefinitely.

So the green check mark never appears.

I still looked if the "App World" icon had appeared in my bby . It did not but I found out that in the application list (Options / Applications) appeared "Blackberry App World 2.1.39" .

(Size 1,231,696 Bytes, 13 modules, with an installation date that matches the time slot when the "wheel" turned)

I have not found a way to execute the application from the list.

For your infomation, the EDGE appears well, I receive and send my e-mails, SMS, MMS .. I have access to the Internet and I intalled easily google mobile apps.

I even asked to have OS 5 uninstalled and reinstalled ... with the same outcome (by the way, tech people in charge in my company told me that the installation software they are using doesn't allow to downgrade to OS 4.6 ....)

So here I am, stuck with version 5, which certainly has some advantages but also ONE big drawback (if this version is responsible for restricting me to download and install App World).

Thank you in advance for reading this long message and for your help.

Cheers

Jeff

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Curve 8900 - Unable to install App World

Salut Jeff,

was AppWorld installed on your device back when you had AppWorld ?

and does your BES IT admins allow you to use AppWorld ? Maybe you can install applications, but on BES side the admins can specifically forbid users to use AppWorld.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Curve 8900 - Unable to install App World

Hi Xandrex,

Thanks for your reply.

When my curve 8900 was running with OS 4.6, I had "App World 1.xx" installed.

I have checked with IT, there is apparently no restriction to use App World. Moreover my colleagues are using it. Nevertheless I will double check with BES IT if admin rules have not been changed recently. 

Addtionnal information is that i am probably the first one in my company that has requested OS to be upgraded to OS 5.

Cheers