Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: T Mobile
Accepted Solution

Email via Bridge suddenly stopped working - flashing black & white screen only

Had been using Bb Bridge email successfully for about a month since purchase of playbook. Then part way through sending an email reply, the screen suddenly started flashing black and white. All other bridge apps work perfectly, as does email on BB Curve 9300. 

Tried every solution I can find that is similar on the forums, including removing battery from 9300, re-installing bridge etc, doing RST, but no fix. 

This was main reason I bought the playbook, so pretty useless without. 

Any ideas how to get it to behave? 

New Contributor

Re: Email via Bridge suddenly stopped working - flashing black & white screen only

Having tried all options for similar problems listed in the forums without success, I eventually found the PB security reset back to factory defaults sorted the problem, at the expense of losing various downloads and data.

Fortunately all relatively easy to recover from other sources, just took time.

Hope this helps if anyone else gets the same issue. 

My Carrier: Movistar Spain

Re: Email via Bridge suddenly stopped working - flashing black & white screen only

It seems that this issue has something to do with the Bridge internal data. I suppose there is some kind of cache that gets corrupt somehow.

I solved the problem by unpairing my BB from the PB and pairing them again. No need to reset to default the whole PB, at least on my case.

The issue keeps repeating every now and then, so I fear I'll be needing to unpair / pair again until a solution is released in a future update.

New Contributor

Unpairing and repairing was one of the early things I tried to no effect! 

Having completely re-set the PB, problem has not returned, but the demo videos that came with the PB originally disappeared - they were neat, but not a great loss. 

Since then I've also upgraded my BB to the new touchscreen bold. 

It's so good that I don't open up the PB email so often as it's not much quicker any more. 

Every now and then Bridge still does something unusual, but has always been fixed by a normal PB restart. 

Overall the PB reminds me of many Windows like experiences - good when it works, but soooo frustrating when unusual things happen at random. 

Definitely think the software is too fragile on the PB, and needs some major work.

(No-one I know with an iPad with 3G has problems of this nature......) 

My Device: BB 9700
My Carrier: At&t

I've done the wipe out of the PB and reinstalling everything but the problem keeps happening; I read on the forums it could also be a corrupt email, so I deleted the email I was working on and still the email on PB flashes back and forth

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

New Contributor

If you did the complete factory reset, and it followed same route as my problem, first of all you would have got back a stable (but unpaired) playbook which seemed to do everything else OK? You would have needed to re-register as if you had just purchased the PB, so make sure you actually did full re-set, not just a cold re-start? When I had the problem, I couldn't see any email at all, just black/white screen, so your problem seems slightly different if you could delete specific emails. Mine has been much better since latest s/w updates and BB upgrade to Bold, just occasionally needs a soft re-start to stop the "padlock" appearing. Sorry I can't help much more. 

My Device: BB 9700
My Carrier: At&t

Everything works perfectly except the mail; it works for a short time and then the flashes happen again; I was hoping there was a permanent fix; I've only had the PB since December and I had to re-register as if new 3 times

New Contributor

Sounds like you should take it back to the shop, with BB, to ask for a replacement, and/or get your phone supplier to try with a different model of BB. Mine has not had the problem since using the latest touch screen Bold, so suspect that the BB s/w version does make a difference.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

It just happened to me again, despite having the latest Bridge software on the Torch and the latest PB software. All of a sudden earlier this morning.

The first time it happened to me back about the time this thread was created, fully resetting both devices didn't do any good. I had to wait another day for an update to BlackBerry Bridge.

To speed the process along, what would be the exact procedure to notify RIM of exactly what problems I am having in hopes that yet another Bridge update can be made available. I fear the only way the problem will ever go away is to wait for another Bridge release. And since I use the PB mostly to read my email, the PB has become a useless brick again until the Bridge is fixed.