Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Facebook 1.6 problems

scotwharton wrote:

I'm still having this issue....I'm the original poster.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled from AppWorld as well as the facebook page and the blackberry mobile site.  In AppWorld it does show up as being installed and lists the RUN button as someone else had mentioned, but if I click it, nothing happens.

I am with AT&T and using 4.2.1.72

I've changed themes/shown all icons, etc.  No Luck.

I've done restarts and battery pulls....No Luck.

Registered Host Tables....NO LUCK....anything anyone has suggested, I've tried it.  Smiley Sad

Really do wish I could reinstall 1.5, but at least it worked for me.

I do appreciate all the help that has been offered here.

Hey scotwharton, sorry to hear that you're still having trouble. I know you should have to but do you want to try to load the 4.5 OS on your device to see if that fixes the problem for you?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I don't remember the exact version of 4.2 that I was running, but the carrier is AT&T.

I also was told by the Desktop Manager v4.6 that I could not upgrade my BB OS to 4.5 due to the fact that I was under the control of a BES. This was a red herring. There was no such restrictive policy implemeted by our mobile support team. I just downloaded the v4.5 OS from AT&T and installed it, and it worked fine after that.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8800

Hi CerealBypass,

I am having exactly the same issue. I am using a Blackberry 8800 with v4.2.1.68

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1.6 a zillion times. It always gets installed and shows in the Applications folder, but I dont get an icon on the home screen to launch Facebook. I have used earlier versions of FB (1.2 and 1.5) on this very handset without any issue.

If this is a bug that is being worked on, someone pl tell me atleast where I can get 1.5 back. You see, I'm addicted to FB! Smiley Sad

Contributor

If it shows in the applications folder, you can move it to the home folder... Can you run it out of the applications folder?  I moved my out of the applications folder once I got v4.5 of the OS installed.  with 4.2 I did not see the icon anywhere..

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8800

Updated OS to 4.5. Now FB 1.6 works.

If only I had known it was an OS issue, I wdnt have wasted so many hours in the last few days in rebooting, battery pulls, uninstalls, reinstalls...grrr!!

Contributor

I am also under a BES....and OBVIOUSLY, I don't want to call attention to myself by asking our BlackBerry admin about facebook not working!!  Smiley Wink

My question is, since it seems that 4.5 will fix this issue, can I install 4.5 without calling attention to myself?  If so, can someone provide a link?

Contributor

Your carrier will have a link to download theOS.. for example, I used the Google query -- AT & T blackberry 8800 OS download -- to find the link to v4.5 to upgrade mine..

Contributor

....and you didn't lose anything and have to re-install?
Contributor

No.. the process backups all your settings and applications.. If you have the desktop manager, you should backup the device anyway before doing all this...  I would remove the facebook v1.6 from the BB also. Install it after the upgrade..

I had to restart the upgrade once.. but everry thing is backed up and restores beautifully.. the whole process of upgrade and reactivation (this is automatic when you first try to access your email and such) took me around 35-40 minutes.. 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Before you go ahead, be aware that if you update your software using your home PC, you'll have to get your IT admin to re-activate your device to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

If you update your device software while you're on a work PC with an outlook profile setup, and Desktop Manager is connected to your mailbox, you should be fine.