Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Facebook 1.7.0.18

[ Edited ]

I downloaded FB 1.7.0.18 for my BB Storm over the weekend in response to a whole bunch of FB issues. Now, when I choose FB by hitting the icon on my Storm home screen I get a very small FB window surrounded by a blue border (I tried taking a pic of the screen to show, but couldn't). It's usable but very fiddly.

In appWorld, the FB entry says "downgrade". Is this telling me 1.7.0.18 is unsuitable? Has anyone else had this small screen problem?

I should add I'm on Vodafone in UK, and version 4.7.0.181

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Facebook 1.7.0.18

This is an unusual problem and I haven't experienced it myself.  My recommendation would be to delete Facebook, reboot by pulling out the battery for 15-30 seconds, then redownload it from the following site (on your phone):  http://www.blackberry.com/facebook.

This is the method I've used and it seems to work better.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Thanks for the advice Krypto, but it didn't work. Still got FB in a small window.

How do I roll it back to 1.6.x.xx? Is there a download still available?

Elite I

Good question.   I know they have to as there is are people who can't actually use the new version of Facebook 1.7.  You may be able to download it via BlackBerry App World.  Beyond that, I haven't figured out where yet.  I'll see if I can find anything else and if I can, I'll get back to you.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

I too would love to know how to roll back.  I installed 1.7 and it worked great for two hours last night>  today I cannot even login and I cannot seem to even completely un-install it.  Even after several hard reboots it is there offering me a chance to download 1.6 or 1.7.  Except when i try to down load 1.6 it says " your device does not meet the system reqiurements......."  for an app I have been running for a couple of months.At least I have not lost connectivity as many other users have reported.

Elite I

The recommendation I've been suggested thus far by one other user is to restore it from a backup, but that will only work if you've previously backed up your third party applications.  I'm still waiting to see if I can get any more info for you guys.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

It seems, the way it's worded, you could remove the FB app from your phone, then reinstall it (not the archive crap, fully removed). When you go to install the FB app, it mentions some users with certain data plans will want the v1.6 for data usage (I think). And a link is included. Try that maybe.

The new 1.7 is a joke for me. When I try to scroll, the whole screen starts to jerk. I can not just scroll from post to post, it's either the first post or 2...or the last post. It will just spin all the way down. I can not control what post I am looking at (battery pull has happened countless times since install). I am going to have to try the uninstall and reinstall trick for v1.6 myself. I like the new features, but not the INSANE bugs it caused. Maybe it's just me , I don't know.

Photobucket
My Device: B/Berry 8900 Curve Vodafone UK

I bought my first Blackberry this week and let's put it this way - I am VERY disappointed with the Facebook App for Blackberry. The app I had for my Nokia N82 was better!

It loads slow, yes its jerky when you scroll, the font is hideous and big, you have to keep scrolling to read your friends statuses.

It is not very user friendly, difficult to navigate......... urgh!!! are there any alternatives to this rubbish?   Like older versions or other versions? if so, where?   This SUCKS........

Neil.

Elite I

I'll just start by saying that I've had no issues with Facebook 1.7 and I know lots of other users with no problems, so it isn't just the app that's causing the problem - there's likely something else playing into why you guys are having so many issues.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how you guys can downgrade (unless someone posts the files from one of their app backups).  I just might poke and prod a couple of the BB Technical Advisors on Monday to see if we can figure anything out.

All of this said, for those of you having troubles with the app, try simply using the mobile version (m.facebook.com).  It's actually got more features, plus, you don't have to deal with an application draining memory and the such on your phone.  I know it's nice to get the Facebook notifications rather than an email notifications, but at least there is the alternative.  And the mobile version of Facebook actually loads up pretty quick on the native BlackBerry Browser.

If I hear anything else, I will let you all know.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

I tried to go to the Application Center and reinstall the FB app from there. I clicked it. Hit reinstall. On the next page i clicked the link at the bottom for the 1.6 software (hoping I could just put the old version over the new version). I got an error saying my phone (Storm 9530 4.7OS) was not FB compatible!!! I guess that way will not be happening.

Would compatibility mode help any?

Edit: Just completely removed the FB ap and rebooted the BB. Reinstalled the 1.7 again...nothing. Still acting the same.

Edit2: I heard a rumor about a new OS for us Storm users, so I connected my Storm to my PC and went looking for the update (a couple days away still sadly). Well, I saw that my Storm had some OS issues that needed updated, and the desktop software wantd to remove the old versions of 3 programs I updated recently (BB IM, Windows Live Messanger, Facebook). So I ran the program, let it do it's thing and now my jerky motion in FB is gone. However, now when I scroll down to look at other posts, the thing takes off and scrolls all the way down without stopping. I can not even stop it myself. When I try to scroll bck up, same thing. It just takes off at high speed. So the only 2 posts I can read are the first and last posts. Everything else is a blur.

Photobucket