Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

How do I sync/backup my bb10 device on Linux?

Our house has been Windows-free for a while, and its great experience.

I am surprised that Blackberry only lists "pc" and "mac".  Thats a bit old-school, isn't it? A PC runs non-windows quite often, at least here in Europe..

http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop/blackberry-link.html

What am I to do? Is there any way to get my upgrades, backups etc working on the Linux based desktops?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How do I sync/backup my bb10 device on Linux?

There is no Linux support that I'm aware of. There may be Linux open source options available but nothing offered by BlackBerry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Highlighted
Contributor

Is there anywhere we can make BB (/RIM) aware that this is an issue? I'm convinced a significant amount of users will be left out by ignoring Linux...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

They have never supported Linux in the almost 10 years I've been active with BlackBerry devices. Posting on forums like this helps but I wouldn't get any hopes up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

what sync are you expecting?

if you want to sync contacts & calendar items, just setup a WebDAV with CardDAV and calDAV.

if you want to sync files, just use SMB over USB or WiFi with your favourite sync tool (even ftp is better than BlackBerry Link !)

if you want to sync emails, you can use your imap server.

and for backups, I have no proposition.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, great ideas.

I installed owncloud (http://owncloud.org) on a server I run and used the carddav and caldav account types to connect my z10 to it.  Works wonderfully and it means all my data is on my server as well as on my phone.

I already used imap, so the vast majority of stuff I would backup is now save.

The only thing I don't know how to backup are my text messages. But thats not that important to me.