Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to display a PDF file ????

Hi all..

i am facing this problem for quite some time and havn't been able to resolve it .. the problem is that in my code i have a link to a .pdf file.. the file is saved on some server.. i need to open this pdf file in my application.... i have tried using the blackberry browser but it gives me an errror : HTTP error 500 : Internal server error

i have tried the same logic with a word file and it works fine. .. the browser automatically opens the doc file using Word To Go..

I have scanned through all the forums and what i have found is that BB does not support PDF viewer.. but there must be some way to display pdf files..????? do i need to download some 3rd party s/w which supports pdf format, but then how will i invoke this new application from my code...????

Help me guys...  

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to display a PDF file ????

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

It is true that the out-of-the box version of the To-Go apps does not open PDFs. PDF's can be read on the device via the attachment service -- but the only way I know how to invoke that is to have the PDF be a message attachment. The other alternative is indeed to update the To-Go apps to the Premium version, which includes support for PDFs. Other apps also exist, but I'm not sure of the names (BeamReader?????). You can search around these forums, though...I know it's been discussed a few times. But, to my knowledge, there is no free way to do it...all of the apps are paid add-ons.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

BeamReader works fine.
you can also try another browser like Opera Mini or BOLT.

Moreover you have some services on the web that can convert a PDF file into a simple webpage.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same problem.  I tried updating to the premium version of Docs to Go, including PDF to go, but I still can't seem to open pdf files while browsing.  Could it be a browser issue?  I get the error message "incomplete input data".  Very frustrating.