Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is App World supposed to show available application upgrades?

Is App World supposed to flag applications in the My World view that have available Upgrades?

I don't ever see applications in my My World list with a "* Upgrade Available" notation until AFTER I go into Details and see that there is an upgrade listed.  This isn't convenient at all -- tonight I checked all of my apps, one at a time, and found 8 of them had updates.  Of course, after doing all the leg-work for App World, it displayed the availability of the updates in the main My World list...w00t!

Is this something RIM is addressing, or an issue only I am seeing? 

BlackBerry 8900 (T-Mobile)

v4.6.1.114

App World 1.0.0.30 

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Is App World supposed to show available application upgrades?

You are not alone... I am experiencing the same issue. I sent a support request to RIM, but they did nothing but point me to the "self help" knowledgebase. That did no good. Worthless support, that's for sure.
My Device: Blackberry Storm

even i had this issue...one fine day i happened to check that all of my applications had updates....why don't we get notified in the App world? or BB should provide an option of checking for the updates using either Desktop Manager or provide an option on the phone......
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

The option is not available because most well designed applications already have a "check for upgrades at startup" option.

As a user, there are applications that I want to be notified of a new version, and others where I do not want to. so it's natural for me to configure each application.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex wrote:
The option is not available because most well designed applications already have a "check for upgrades at startup" option.

Huh? What are you talking about? Based on your argument, why does AppWorld check for updates at all then? The issue is that AppWorld will check for updates, but only when viewing the application details page. It would be better, and make more sense, if update availability were on the MyWorld page. Even better still would be a notice (like what happens when a new SMS/E-Mail/etc. arrives on the phone) when updates are available. Throw in the ability to configure this notification, and bam! We're all happy.

Yes, maybe that feature will be available in a future version of AppWorld. In the meantime, since it's not a bug I'd rather see RIM employees work on giving AppWorld to more than three countries in the entire world.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex wrote:
Yes, maybe that feature will be available in a future version of AppWorld. In the meantime, since it's not a bug I'd rather see RIM employees work on giving AppWorld to more than three countries in the entire world.
I'll agree with you that AppWorld needs to be expanded to more countries. Not sure what the hold-up is with that.

in my opinion, it's just a legal issue : RIM has to sign new contracts with every single carrier, so that each carrier gets some money whenever one of their subscribers buys an application on AppWorld.

Those things take time.