Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless (Canada)

Java.lang.error message after updating blackberry protect

I took the update for Blackberry Protect today on my Blackberry Bold 9900 with OS and now I get the java.lang.error message on re-boot. Anyone know what this is?

I've tried uninstalling BB Protect and still get it, also tried re-installing it and message is still there.

What is this error, how will it hinder-impact device and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Java.lang.error message after updating blackberry protect

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If it won't boot up cleanly, then you may need to try Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the "alt" key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info. Alternative methods for bringing up the logs are in this KB:

• KB05349How to enable, access, and extract the event logs on a BlackBerry smartphone

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app. Still another method is to reload the BB OS cleanly, leaving some time between adding other apps onto the BB so as to be able to determine exactly which one is the cause.

Given your description, it may well be that you have OS level corruption...Safe Mode will help you diagnose that better, and a clean OS reload may be in oder.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: DU

Re: Java.lang.error message after updating blackberry protect

Ok I figured this out

1) alt lglg - this will show the entire event log
2) click the blackberry key then select "options"

what we want to do is basically see what application or applications in the event log is causing the error,
In order to do that...

3) Click the blackberry key again... Select "hide all types"

Now we don't see anything in the event log, all the filters are unselected,

Scroll down in the list till you find the "java exception" filter, click it... You will see a small menu , select "toggle filter"

Now you will see exactly what application or applications is causing the java exception error :-)

Mine was facebook, it could be anything you never know,

Now.... Open up blackberry desktop , go to applications, remove the application or applications causing the error,

Select Update

Your device will now update then reboot, this might take over ten minutes, be patient

This will work :-)