Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange UK

Podcast App disabled for non North American users

Can somebody please explain to me why the podcast app is disabled so those of us outside North America cannot add, download etc podcasts through the app?

The application is provided as a core element in the operating system and there seems no reason why RIM have decided to disable it for us.

Also, is this disabling of software going to become the norm because I will not be buying another Blackberry if this is the policy of RIM. Is the podcast app disabled in Blackberry 7 devices and also when (if ever) will it become available worldwide?

New Contributor

Re: Podcast App disabled for non North American users

I wish I could say I am surprised by the lack of response from RIM on this topic. I have been trying to get an answer for about a year but they fail to respond to email, Twitter and Facebook requests. Quite pathetic. If there is a reason why we can't have the podcast app, why not just say?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

andywatt wrote:

I wish I could say I am surprised by the lack of response from RIM on this topic. I have been trying to get an answer for about a year but they fail to respond to email, Twitter and Facebook requests. Quite pathetic. If there is a reason why we can't have the podcast app, why not just say?

Hi, Andy.

Just to clarify, RIM is not responsible for support to the end user.  They contract the cell carriers to support their products.  If, for any reason, a carrier is unable to resolve an issue, they can escalate the issue directly to RIM for resolution.  To their credit, RIM hosts these support forums which offer another avenue for support other than the carriers.

Now, on to your concern.  This is the first I've heard of this problem.  Could you describe exaclty what you're encountering?  I imagine you try to open the podcast app and what happens after that?  What message(s) appear(s)?

Please post back and we'll try to help you with it.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Initially I did take this up with my carrier, Orange who could not do anything about it, said they had not disabled the app and were trying to get an answer from RIM. No answer was forthcoming. So I have asked on Twitter, Facebook and email and received no reply whatsoever.

Essentially, for everyone outside North America, the app becomes useless as there is no way to download or subscribe to apps. Basically what we get is a disabled version of the app where you have to copy podcasts from a computer to be able to play them.

If I try to install or update the app, I get the message it is unavailable in my country or phone (I am using a Torch so it isn't the phone) and the only 'supported countries' listed on the App World site are the USA and Canada. But my question is "why is this the case?" Surely any copyright issues are down to the individual podcasts and as the app is supplied with the operating system, surely we should all enjoy the same functionality. Any copyright issues per podcast would be identified by ip address, like they would be on a computer.

There is a work around by deleting the mediaconfig service book before restarting the phone, but surely it would be easier to just let us all use it? It obviously works on the phones and as a native app supplied with the handset it should not be disabled for users outside North America.

So what I would like to know is why have RIM taken the decision to disable the podcast app for those of us outside North America. Thanks.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Yep, I took a closer look and it is indeed only available in North America.  I was unaware of this; I assumed it was a worldwide app.  In this case, everything I said about carrier support would not apply.  Orange UK can't support something that isn't supposed to work in their country to begin with.

I'm going to go with your suggestion that it's a copyright related issue.  I can't think of any other reason for it being that way.

So, I have nothing to offer you in the way of support.  If you find out anything further, updating this thread with the new information would be appreciated.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks again for the reply, but WHY is it limited to North America? The app is there, in faxct the first time you power on your phone it works fine - it's only after a restart that it is disabled.

It is provided as part of the bundled software so it should not be disabled. Surely RIM arent so stupid that they agree that developers who create apps to be provided with their phones will only have them working on North American devices.

I know of a lot of Blackberry users who are as frustrated by this as me and the fact that RIM have disabled this useful piece of software has directly resulted in me not buying a Playbook (as I didn't know if they would disable any core software there) and it will probably mean that my next phone isn't a Blackberry unless RIM reverse this clear discrimination. 

New Contributor
My Device: 9860 Torch
My Carrier: O2 UK

I'd like to raise this issue again please.

I'm a UK user, just replaced my 9700 Bold with a new 9860 Torch to take advantage of it's bigger screen, OS7 and better performance as an all round media device as well as messaging.

2 weeks in and I'm impressed overall with the 9860. However, the fact that the native BB podcast application does not work is a real frustration. My only option appears to be to download (and pay a UK premium price of £9.99 for) a 3rd party app such as PodTrapper. I'm trialling PodTrapper and it works superbly but I would still like to understand why the native BB podcast application is not available to UK users. I'd rather a simpler free app than pay a premium price for one.

Please advise, it makes no sense to me especially as the BB podcast application is resident on my 9860, it just doesn't work and can't be upgraded via UK Appworld. This is the type of frustration that puts people, including loyal users (I've been using Blackberrys for many years), off Blackberry and pushes them to Android, Apple etc.