Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: KPN

Reinstalling Whatsapp - asking me to enter username associated with this smartphone

I needed to reinstall Whatsapp onto my Blackberry 9700 Bold.  I've got the correct Blackberry ID Username, as well as the correct Blackberry ID Password, but when I enter these, it then asks me to 'enter the username associated with this smartphone'. 

Question is: either what am I doing wrong?  Or how can I alter this to get past this stage, as I've already had 6 failed attempts.

Thanks for any pointers/help.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Reinstalling Whatsapp - asking me to enter username associated with this smartphone

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

For whatever reason, the BB ID credentials you are using on the device are not being recognized as the identical credentials that are presently integrated to the device. I know you checked, but please check again that you are typing the exact characters (note -- not simply the right keys on the BB keypad...but the correct characters, as modified by CAPS, ALT, SYM, etc. for each and every character) that are for your existing BB ID. Also, check here to view the username that is presently configured to the device and validate that it's the same you are trying now to use:

• KB28684 How to confirm a BlackBerry ID username

FYI, this is what will happen if you continue to fail:

• KB24157 BlackBerry ID lockout behavior

Typically, that error message means you need to actually change the BB ID that is associated to the device over to what you desire...and to do that, you have to perform a device WIPE:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

I know you are using the right credentials, but for some reason, your BB thinks you are using different credentials than those it has presently configured to it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.