Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10
My Carrier: O2 UK

Skype for BlackBerry

[ Edited ]

As many here are aware, BlackBerry users are being denied the right to an application which seems to be evolving more and more everyday, yes SKYPE ! 

You could spend all day trawling the net for answers or a download, you won't find anything. You could write to Skype and all they do is write back to you with copy and paste sentences which offer nothing but silence. We have been fed lies and rumours for years now regarding a general release of Skype for BlackBerry.

For months I have spent a lot of time posting on various forums and mailing people about this and all I have learned is that more and more people around the world are growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of availability of this app for our beloved BlackBerry. The lack of answers is as annoying  as not having Skype available. The silence is deafening.

From what I understand it is Skype who are the badboys here so this is not a swipe at BlackBerry. Since moving to BlackBerry I have been nothing but impressed at the quality and professionalism I have encountered at all levels. I decided to turn my attention to this forum in the hope that somebody here may be able to offer  some good news or at least something along the lines of an answer as to why we are being denied the right to use Skype on our devices. We are at least owed an explanation, some kind of official statement. This seems to be beyond Skype. I hope BlackBerry can do better.

Anybody wishing to voice their concerns to Skype, head over to http://community.skype.com/t5/Other-devices/bd-p/Mobile_other or write to them by email. The more people do this the stronger our voice becomes. So far our pleas are falling on deaf ears. Skype has been announced for the Playstation Vita which is not even on sale in the UK yet. Why can't we have it on BlackBerry ??

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Skype for BlackBerry

as far as I know, Skype has already released their app for BlackBerry smartphones.
but most carriers have forbidden it, with the exceptions of Verizon Wireless (US) and Three (UK).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

Quite disappointed that with over 300 views only one person has offered any kind of idea as to why we are being denied the basic right of Skype on our BlackBerry devices. I won't list them here but if you head over to the link in my original posting there are many theories as to why Skype is being kept from us. There is however as seems the norm now one thing missing. An official statement from Skype or BlackBerry as to why Skype is not being put on general release for loyal customers around the world.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You've had over 300 views (400+ at this writing) and only one response because we know as much as you do about the situation.  Skype has not released a public statement as to why their app is not universally accepted.  Xandrex gave you what information he has on the subject but until such a statement is forthcoming, you'll have to be happy with the many views and only one response.  Hey look, now it's up to two!  :smileywink:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

I appreciate the replies I've had, thanks to both of you. I been quite active in my quest for an answer on this and so far I've had a lot more common sense and feedback from the BlackBerry side. Quite sure it is Skype to blame here so the quest goes on. Could be time for a hand written letter to Skype's current president Tony Bates. In the meantime the wait for an official statement or maybe even a general release of Skype for BlackBerry goes on.

Guru I

huh ?

I said the exact opposite in message 2 of this conversation. It is a fact, not some rumor.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

And where is any official statement from Skype confirming it is on general release but blocked by carriers ? Why the silence ? There are laws preventing network carriers blocking apps and I find it hard to believe that every single carrier in the world has prevented Skype making their application available for download to BlackBerry devices from their website. As most will agree, hard facts and official statements are needed here.

Guru I

hello,

there is only undisputable fact :
Skype for BlackBerry smartphones is available for at least two carriers (Verizon Wireless in the USA and Three in the United Kindgom).

I have no knowledge of a general release or of a low preventing a carrier network to block any application.