12-11-2012 03:40 PM
So the new BBM 7.0 update completely wiped out my BBM Contacts when I updated the service. I called T-Mobile and got in touch with Tech Support who in turn got in touch with RIM and they couldn't help me recover my BBM contacts. I lost over 200 contacts!!! How do you roll out an update that wipes out your BBM contacts?! What is wrong with this picture??? This is unbelievable and more than ever makes me think of switching over to an iPhone.
12-11-2012 03:55 PM
12-11-2012 03:55 PM
12-11-2012 04:00 PM
So this is what happened.
1. Upgrade to 7.0
2. Type in Blackberry ID with wrong password, I have to BBs, so I used wrong one.
3. Uninstalled 7.0 because the 2nd attempt would let me type in correct password.
4. Reinstalled 7.0, finally get a chance to type in correct password.
5. Associates 7.0 with Blackberry ID and let me sign in.
6. It says RESTORE BBM CONTACTS, when I try to do that, it jumps ahead to another screen and it says by not restoring BBM Contacts, you won't be able to recover them. I never even had a chance to restore!!!
7. Installs 7.0 with no contacts.
8. Uninstall 7.0 in hopes of getting restore BBM function.
9. Resintall 7.0 to no avail, no contacts.
10. So I have a BBM 7.0 with no contacts. Great!
11. Call TMobile for help getting in touch with RIM, RIM says they can't help.
12. The end.
12-11-2012 04:40 PM
12-11-2012 05:20 PM
I do hope that works for you...but:
The BBM Contact List may or may not be part of the core backup...hence, it may not be there available for restore (there is conflicting information on this point). That is why there is this separate procedure:
Doing that as part of a regular backup process is of course recommended. Further, before updating any app, taking a 1-time backup of the relevant data would likewise be prudent.
I realize this does not help your situation...this can do nothing in arrears. But hopefully others can learn from your painful experience.
12-11-2012 09:03 PM
truly HORRIBLE...I lost 1200 contacts...how about them apples. You would think a company that is losing market share would at least take all precautions when releasing a roll out. Especially when trying to rally the BB troops in anticipation of BB 10. I'm on here searching to see if there is some sort of remedy to my problem but seem as though I'm SOL. I was thinking today perhaps this is my sign for go iPhone 5. What was keeping me on BB was the exchange server BIS speed and BBM. Now that I've lost BBM a min or two difference on email speed I could live with...Especially when battery life on my BB is literally 6hrs/day on 3G...once again HORRIBLE!!!!
12-11-2012 09:51 PM
I feel the same way, I'm seriously considering switching to an iPhone now. This is beyond ridiculous. I'm gonna try to recover my BBM contacts now.