Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

closing applications

Is there a hotkey of some sort which actualy closes the application instead of allowing it to still run in the background? I rarely want to keep multiple applications running in the background, yet never remember to use the menu and "exit" instead of just pressing the "hang-up" button.
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: closing applications

The button to press to send a proper "exit" signal to a running application is the BACK button. It looks like a sideways U-turn signal (the second button from the right, on most modern BlackBerry devices), NOT the hangup button (the right-most button).

Back button vs Hangup button

The hang-up button sends a "background" notification, and most applications abide by that, putting themselves into the background.

The back button (second from the right), sends an "exit" signal to the application. The application, by default, should terminate and be cleared from the running applications list. However, each application has the option to refuse to abide by the "exit" request, and put itself into the background instead. 

For example, the Pandora application will not exit when pressing either the back button or the hangup button - it will continue running in the background until you choose "exit" from its own menu.  But the vast majority of applications will simply terminate and exit when pressing the back button.

At Antair, we make great apps for your BlackBerry phone and your PlayBook tablet.