Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: Not Specified

downloading software

Hello, I want to download software, not of blackberry origin, from my PC using  usb cable. Can someone tell me how I go about this? Thanks

All Replies
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: downloading software

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You must use the Desktop Software that came with your BB. In there (somewhere -- I don't load apps in that manner) should be the ability to load applications, including searching on your PC for the app to install. If the install file is of the proper type, the desktop software should be able to find it and install it to your BB.

Special through 31-Oct-2015 -- 10% Discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.
Solutions: 6,191
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: downloading software

To load applications from the PC, you must have TWO files, one ending in file type ALX, and another ending in file type COD.

Put both of those installation files on your PC, and remember where you placed them.

Then open Desktop Manager > Application Loader.

If AppLoader does not immediately see and alert you that you have software to load, in App Loader, you will click on ADD and navigate to the location where you saved those two files > find the ALX and proceed following the prompts.

>> Click here to get a 10% Off Discount on any BlackBerry from ShopBlackBerry

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code