Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Downloaded applications

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Idea

why BlackBerry force BlackBerry users to use BIS

I am unable to understand that why BlackBerry force BlackBerry mobile users to use BIS ( which is so costly ), BlackBerry keep BIS mandatory in its every app like BlackBerry protect, push mail, browser and BlackBerry world. But this is not fair. BlackBerry should leave it on the will of BlackBerry users. Then they can decide whether to use BIS or not. Like Android phone users who enjoy a more richer web facebook and other apps than BlackBerry without a costly GPRS plan like BlackBerry's BIS but only in the normal gprs plan. This time BlackBerry doesn't rock
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: why BlackBerry force BlackBerry users to use BIS

I'm sorry to disagree, but your comparison is not quite equal. Consider email...no other platforms handle email the way BBs do. BBs prior to the Z10 do not have a full on-device email client...rather, they use the BIS infrastructure that is hosted by the carriers and RIM to accomplish true PUSH email from the end user perspective. This involves additional infrastructure dedicated solely to BB users, not usable by any other customers of that carrier. Along with the other BB proprietary services (which also require dedicated infrastructure), this results in a set of infrastructure that is solely used by BB customers...hence, added cost for the BIS plan so as to enable those services.

Many end users indeed have a full choice...newer BBs can function with a generic data plan, but naturally none of the BB-proprietary services will work. But, some carriers will not allow a BB onto their network without a BIS plan...but that is the decision of the carrier, not BlackBerry.

The future is brighter...reports are that BlackBerry10 devices (e.g., the Z10) will not require a BIS plan and will have all BB proprietary services as part of a generic data plan from the carriers.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.