Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
badcarmagoodcarma
My Device: 8700c
Accepted Solution

8700c messing with SMS == HELP

Hi! I got a used 8700c so I could test out Blackberry before investing in a new one.  I'm using it on AT&T without a data plan because about all I do is txt right now. I was fine.  Set up SMS txting and went along great. I could send and receive sms txts.

Then I tried to find a way to connect to my house wireless internet after reading here that I can do that without signing up for a data plan with my carrier.  The 8700c didn't find my wireless device but I just figured, oh, okay, no big deal.  I turned off the wireless on my BB.

But now when I try to SMS text my BB says "Radio is off, message cannot be sent. You will only be able to Save Draft." 

What did I do wrong?  I am as much of a newbie as you can get but I did look at the manual. I am lost and concerned because my wonderful son pays for the service on this phone and I don't want to accidentally rack up charges by turning anything on --- and I don't even know what it means when it says Radio is off.

HELP??!!! :Eek:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: 8700c messing with SMS == HELP

"Radio Is Off" means that your phone's connection to the carrier's network has been disabled and nothing can leave your phone or be received by it.  Simple as that.

You just go to Manage Connections on your homescreen, turn on the network connection and you're back in business again.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
badcarmagoodcarma
My Device: 8700c

Re: 8700c messing with SMS == HELP

YOU ROCK! Thanks.  It's working now. 

Is my green light supposed to blink all of the time or is that something else I need to deal with?

I seriously love the way BB feels when I use it.  All of my previous phones have been something of a disappointment but not this one.

Please use plain text.