Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Tomination
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

A few issues with my new BB Bold 9700

Hey, i have a few questions, i thought best to keep it to one thread. FYI i updated my blackberry software today using my computer so it all should be on latest versions

1: GPS never ever works, simple, ive run diagnostics, they time out, and i can never find satelites. My mobile provider does not block it (tmobile uk), is this some sort of joke feature? or is it meant to work.

2: Blackberry Messenger, i deleted it because i dont want to use it, but my update put it back on the phone. and now theres no way to delete it :smileytongue: How can i get rid of it, its always running and that means using valuable memory that isnt needed for it

3: Prior to today i would press the lock button  on my BB and then you would need to enter the password to unlock the phone, however for some reason the latest update now doesnt use my password when i press the lock button, if i go into the menu and click lock it does. Why.. and how do i make it work like it did

4: When people phone me, it shows me the number calling me and not the name of the contact. This is pathetic, at work i dont want to answer calls from other prospective jobs, but how do i know who they are if it just shows the number. I have to reject call and then go to my call log. which funny enough shows me name of contact and the number. Why does it not show me this when i am being called :smileysad:

Overall this is my first BB, i like it, but theres always something going wrong, and im no technophobe. It seems every few days BB releases new updates which screws up things i had working, and changes the options menu dramatically. its getting impossible to keep up :smileytongue:

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: A few issues with my new BB Bold 9700

1. GPS works. Refresh it this way:

On all model BlackBerrys, first make certain that you in an area of good signal coverage AND outside with a clear view of the sky in an open area of no tall buildings.

For GSM network devices, do this:
Click Options > Advanced > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS.
Give it up to 10 minutes to refresh, and try 2-3 times in a row.
Also, read this: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB12203&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

2. On the 9700, don't worry about it. It takes up very very little resources and if you aren't using it very little memory space. If you MUST delete it, Options > Applications > Add-on. Click the item and then the Delete button.

3. It's a new feature :smileywink:  The lock button locks the screen. Use the lock icon if you want to use the password.

4. That IS pathetic! Let's fix it.

There could be any one of three solutions... Try these:
a. Make sure you set your own country code at Phone dialer Screen > Options > Smart dialing.

• Set your Country Code in this format: "+xx" where xx = your country code. Some countries have two or three digit Country Codes. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.
  • In the US, set this Country Code as "+1", and place your loca area code in the proper box (this normally the default setting in a new BB).

b. At the same location, change the National Number Length to the number of digits for your country (since some countries will have less than 10 as set as the default in the BB). Find out the total digits, minus the country code. Do not place the '+' in your contact's entry.

• For example, some countries have a total number to 8 (plus 3 for country code). You would enter "8".

c. You may have "Content Protection" set on your Address Book.

• Look at Options > Security > General Settings. Scroll down to Content Protection > Include Address Book = NO.

If you're seeing updates every few days, people will be jealous. Maybe you have seen a couple of OS dates in the past two weeks. That won't last forever.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Tomination

Thanks for your reply! in response,

1: I have strong 3g and wifi, and am outside in a rural town with no skyscrapers. But have still no success with the GPS. maybe the hardware in my phone is just broken for the gps. I will keep refreshing though thanks :smileyhappy:

2: It is less about the resources and more about the control really. I am very OCD' ish with my computers, and the icon always running annoys me, and ofc it does use some resources which is bad as i will never ever use it. It seems that with the latest update i cannot delete it, I have browsed to it in the Applications/Core section, No delete option like with 3rd party apps though :smileysad:

3: Ok thanks, thats a shame, its a feature i dont like so i hope they revert back to the old way in future, will have to use the option in the menu from now on :smileysad:

4: Thanks! it wanted 10 digit numbers but the United Kingdom where i live is 11, working perfectly for this now! :smileyhappy:

JSanders

1. 3G and WiFi don't matter for this. This is a direct satellite signal.

What is noted on your GPS screen... for Lat/Long and # of sats? all 00000?

Is your GPS set to Location ON?

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and and find the file named  "Loader.exe."

Double click to run it (with your BlackBerry connected via USB, of course) and when the list of applications show, UNcheck the BlackBerry Messenger. Complete the promptes to finish and reboot tthe device.

You might see a java error on reboot here and there..., but that will be the standard after deleting it, since there are other modules that call on BBM from time to time. Just ignore them.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Tomination

Thanks again for your reply :smileyhappy:

1: I managed to get a gps link on about the 11th refresh!

2: I have located the loader.exe, however it only shows me 3rd party apps in the list, so there is no blackberry messenger to de-select :smileysad:

JSanders

Tomination wrote:

1: I managed to get a gps link on about the 11th refresh!

Persistance!

Tomination wrote:

2: I have located the loader.exe, however it only shows me 3rd party apps in the list, so there is no blackberry messenger to de-select :smileysad:

At that location, what verison of BlackBerry Messenger do you show installed?

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

JSanders wrote:

1. GPS works. Refresh it this way:

On all model BlackBerrys, first make certain that you in an area of good signal coverage AND outside with a clear view of the sky in an open area of no tall buildings.

For GSM network devices, do this:
Click Options > Advanced > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS.
Give it up to 10 minutes to refresh, and try 2-3 times in a row.
Also, read this: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB12203&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

The above article from the public knowledge base has been cancelled and replaced by the following one :

KB11950 How to troubleshoot built-in GPS issues on a BlackBerry smartphone

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: