Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Pyxzure
My Device: -
My Carrier: -
Accepted Solution

APN: Blackberry.net?

There's a particular plan in my local carrier that says 'internet on APN Blackberry' which makes no sense to me at all what it means

I tried contacting the support and she said it means I can browse any web as long as it starts with a www., like www.google.com

but

m.facebook.com

en.wikipedia.com

bit.ly

Those stuff aren't available, which, well, I doubt the support guy

Can someone please clarify what 'APN: Blackberry.net' means?
As well as what I can browse and what I can't browse

(The support mentioned something like I can't browse through WAP APN or some sort, but I don't think en.wiki is a WAP??)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Euclidics
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Re: APN: Blackberry.net?

[ Edited ]

Hello Pyxzure

The Blackberry.net access point name is used in place of regular data transfer APN's. From my knowledge it normally controls specific applications including: Windows Live Messenger, Appworld, BlackBerry Messenger, AIM, Facebook, MySpace, Social Feeds, Yahoo! Messenger and YouTube.

Hope this information helps,

Euclidics

If this or any posts in this thread were helpful please Kudos the author.
If this or any posts in this thread were the solution to the topic, please accept the post as the solution so others can view it.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

To use a BlackBerry device features you need to have a separate data plan. This is data plan passes all data through blackberry.net APN (Access Point Name). Therefore, to have blackberry.net APN enabled in your device you need to have BlackBerry data plan.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pyxzure

The question was

What does APN: Blackberry.net means

and

What can I access through APN: Blackberry.net

not

How do I use APN: Blackberry.net

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Euclidics

Hello Pyxzyre,

I believe I answered both those questions for you, the third answered by tanzim. All of this is good relevant information, have we answered your question or did we overlook something?

Euclidics

If this or any posts in this thread were the solution to the topic, please accept the post as the solution so others can view it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pyxzure

Thanks for your answer, but let me rephrase

That plan I'm looking at says I can browse the internet under APN: Blackberry.net, which doesn't make much sense to

me so I contacted their support

Their support says that browsing under APN: Blackberry.net means I can visit any site as long as it starts with a 'www.', ie. www.google.com, www.facebook.com, etc.

But if it starts with something else, ie. m.facebook.com, en.wikipidia.org, bit.ly, etc. I can not visit those

But I doubt what their support says, so I am asking here that, what sites can I visit if I were to browse under APN: Blackberry.net not APN:WAP or APN;internet or sort

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Euclidics

Hello Pyxzure,

You were right to doubt them, in short you can browse social media, I gave a list of a few examples above.

However, saying that and from my knowledge the way you access these for free are through applications on the phone. Once you open your web browser and browse to those sites, you will be charged for the data sessions through regular WAP browsing, unless I'm mistaken here.

That's the best answer I can provide.

Hope that clears your questions up,

Euclidics

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pyxzure

Ok, thanks

But I've read somewhere that there are actually different browsers on the device that one is a WAP browser that connects through the, um.., ISP, whatever, and another one that connects through Blackberry server that should let me browse freely (considering I am browsing under BB's APN right?)

Do I understand it correct? Or I can only browse the internet if I kinda click the links from the applications on the device, like an external link in facebook?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Euclidics

Hey,

Hopefully this information will satisfy any further questions you have in regards to the difference between browsers:

KB03892 Differences in browsers on the BlackBerry device

From what I see you can only use the BlackBerry browser if you have an Enterprise E-Mail setup.

Euclidics

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pyxzure

Thanks a lot, that is all :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.