Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
escualida
My Device: Not Specified

Acute accent marks on the Blackberry Bold?

[ Edited ]

Hi, does anyone know how to make acute accent marks on the Bold? I know that if you hold down a letter and roll the clickwheel you can get different characters but for every letter (except the "e" ) it only has the grave accents and not the acute accents. That is, I can get the following: à è ì ò ù but I cannot get á í ó ú (although the é does show up).

You might think this is unimportant but in Spanish we only use the acute (´) accent marks and not the other kind and it would look very unprofessional of me to write an email with the wrong kind of accent or without accents at all.

There should be a way to find it because the spellcheck has options for words with the correct accent marks. I can't use the spellcheck always though because sometimes a word will have 2 different meanings, one with an accent and one without an accent but they are both correct.

Please help I am so lost!

Message Edited by escualida on 11-13-2008 09:51 PM
Message Edited by escualida on 11-13-2008 09:52 PM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Acute accent marks on the Blackberry Bold?

what input language are you using on your blackberry ?
I use french an I do have all the accents (grave, acute, ¨, ^)

depending on that, it should work in messages. Are you sure you are not scrolling the trackball too fast ?

Moreover, in SMS there are some characters that you can't use because they are not part of the international SMS specification.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
escualida

I have the input language set to Spanish and I've tried scrolling the trackball slowly and in other directions (I've tried all I can think of) and they're just not showing up.

This is happening everywhere, with SMS, e-mail, chat, etc. I wouldn't mind if this was happening only with SMS because I don't need my SMS to be formal, but the accents don't show up when I'm writing an email and that is a real problem for me.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

since your spellckecher works properly, if I were you I'd just type the words without the accents. If the word does not exists, the spellchecker will give you the two versions of the word with the diferent accents.

example in french :

desire
will give my the choice of :
désire
or
désiré

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
francoys
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Are you noticing this in emails AND in SMS, or simply in SMS?

When I write an email, I have no problems writing the acute accent on the "i" in "Ana-María" when I roll the ball while holding down the "i".

However, my Options->SMS Text->Data Coding setting is "7 bit", as per my provider, Rogers. At that point, the acute accent is NOT available on the "i", but is still available on the "e". The acute accent on the "i" becomes available to me in SMS Text if I set the Data Coding to "UCS2".

I hope that this was of assistance to you, and don't hesitate to click on "Kudos" if this answer satisfies you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
escualida

This happens in emails and in SMS and pretty much everywhere else.

Xandrex: most of the time in Spanish that technique doesn't work, because there are a lot of words that exist with or without accent marks. Such as "que" and "qué", "como" and "cómo", etc. So if I want to write it with the accent mark the spellchecker does me no good.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Escualida, what happens if you hold up the clickwheel, i have the input language in english, and if i hold up the wheel i have the accent marks ( tildes ) like you want.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
escualida

Do you mean hold down the clickwheel? Like I stated in my first post, I have the language set to Spanish, and when I hold down the clickwheel and scroll, I get a lot of different things including the grave accent mark (`) but no the acute accent mark which is what I want (´).

Looks like I'm the only one having this problem. Do I need to reinstall my OS or something of the sort?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

I have the software version v4.6.0.162 (platform 4.0.0.155), but like i wrote in the post, i have only english in my device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

escualida wrote:

Like I stated in my first post, I have the language set to Spanish

hello, there are several languages on a Blackberry.
  • the display language. It's the one for all menus.
  • the typing language. It's the one that allows you to type regional characters like ì or é ö and should also be the one for the spellcheck.

when you are in a typing area, you can hit the menu key and change the input language on the fly. I guess on the Storm there is another way.

Please use plain text.