Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: EE
Accepted Solution

Asked to verify my password

Hi,

I received an email from BB (RIM) yesterday stating that email messages are no longer being delivered to my device and asking me to verify my password (on my device or on the BB website).  I have no idea what the password is and have tried my two usual passwrods, netiher of which works.  Any idea how I can get around this?

Many thanks,

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Asked to verify my password

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Most often, that is requesting you to re-validate your stored (inside of BIS) email credentials. In some cases, the authorization to deliver emails to the BB is time limited, and requires you to re-validate it within BIS so that email delivery to the BB can continue. See this for guidance:

• KB13137 How to re-validate Windows Live Hotmail, MSN, and Bell Sympatico email integrations

While written for specific email configurations, the process should be the same regardless of the type of integrated email account. If you do not know your email account password(s), then you need to contact the service that is providing that email.

On the other hand, if it's instead your BIS password that you cannot enter correctly, then you need to contact your mobile service provider as they are responsible for managing your BIS account.

On the third hand (3 hands!!), if this is some other credential you are having problems with, then please provide more details so that we can understand.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Dear Three Hander(!),

Thanks for the reply.  The message I got from BB said:

"Validate the password for <email address> in the blackberry internet service.  Email messages from <email address> are not being delivered to your blackberry device.  To resume receiving email messages from this email address, validate the password for <email address> in the blackberry internet service."

It then gives two ways of doing this, online at blackberry internet service or in the email setting on my device.  The email I have is not an internet based email, we eseentially rent several email addresses from a chap who owns the domain.  It is a POP3 account.

I know what the pasword is for my email account, it still works on outlook, but my device says that it is wrong.

Perhaps I should ask our email provider to reset the password on my account and try that?  Unless it is asking for a password that I have with BB, in which case I don't remember setting one up so have no idea what it is!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Hall of Famer II

Nope...that message means it's the "first hand"...inside of BIS, the stored credentials for that email account must be re-validated in order for email delivery to continue (just like the linked KB describes). But, here's where I am unclear:

jonathanfletcher wrote:

I know what the pasword is for my email account, it still works on outlook, but my device says that it is wrong.

When, exactly in the process, does it say this? For example, depending on several factors, you may need to first provide your BIS credentials, and then once inside of BIS, that's when you provide/validate your email credentials. And, if those two separate credentials are not identical (they really should not be, for good security), then using your email credentials at the first step (BIS account credentials) would naturally result in a failure.

But, I'm only guessing here since, from those words, I can't quite tell exactly where in the process you are when it fails.

It's also possible that there is a mix of numbers/letters/special characters in the password. If so, you must be very careful about how you enter those on the BB keyboard.

Also, you say you only tried the BB interface to re-validate this email account? What about the other method it provided to you?

jonathanfletcher wrote:

The email I have is not an internet based email, we eseentially rent several email addresses from a chap who owns the domain.  It is a POP3 account.

Actually, "internet based email" is a superset, with POP3 being a subset within that. Your email account simply must be an internet based one in order for you to access it from your BB (or your computer, or anything else for that matter...unless you have some special VPN tunnel going on, in which case things could be quite different than they presently appear).

jonathanfletcher wrote:

Perhaps I should ask our email provider to reset the password on my account and try that?  Unless it is asking for a password that I have with BB, in which case I don't remember setting one up so have no idea what it is!

Nope...that message definitely is BIS needing you to revalidate, within BIS, the email account credentials that are stored within BIS. You might consider having the provider reset it, but I'd first suggest re-checking all that is above.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Once again, thanks for the very detailed reply.  Sorry for the not so detailed replies.  Hopefully this will help:

The email from BIS gives me two options for validating the email:

1) the Blackberry Internet Service - Unfortunately, I can't log into this as I can't remember the password.  When I click on the forgot password link, it says that it will send my password to my BB device,but as yet I have not received this message.

2) The second option is: On my device, go to the Setup Icon > Email Accounts.  This gives me a screen entitled "email accounts" and it lists my email address at the top and gives the option of adding other accounts ("add my existing email account, e.g... Yahoo, Google, New Address").  My email address is written in red and underneath it says Invalid Account.  Please Validate.  When I click on the option to validate, a screen appears asking me to validate my email account and asks me to "type email password".  After a moment, a message appears on screen stating that  my password is invalid and inviting me to try again.

Regarding mistyping the password, there is an option to show the password, so I know that I am typing it correctly (at least the password I though it was).

I don't have a VPN tunnel, by saying that it wasn't an internet based email I meant Yahoo, hotmail etc.  Sorry

The description given when I enter the password (for option 2 above) suggests that it is an email password that is requested, not a BIS password.  Is it possible that this is the password used to download the emails from the server.  If I have mistaken the password for my email account would it be best to ask the email provider to set up a new password for me? 

Thank you

Hall of Famer II

jonathanfletcher wrote:

1) the Blackberry Internet Service - Unfortunately, I can't log into this as I can't remember the password.  When I click on the forgot password link, it says that it will send my password to my BB device,but as yet I have not received this message. 

Normally, that's quite intentional. For security reasons, password reset emails are not delivered to the BB. You must instead be able to access that email account (the one registered to BIS) from another place. But, if the email account is a "hosted" email (e.g., @bb, @carrier, etc.), then those email accounts are only accessible via the BB...catch 22! What you have to do is contact your carrier to reset your BIS credentials...your carrier manages your BIS account for you and should be able to either reset the account for you or set up a forwarding so that the password reset email goes to some account you can access from other than the BB.

Now that I think about it, that may be the actual root of the problem. BIS is authenticated unto itself since it's storing your email credentials. When you initiated the BIS "forgot password", that may well have cancelled your prior BIS password, rendering it invalid even from the device interface now. So, it may be letting you (on the device) get as far as typing the email credentials, but then it fails when it tries to move forward to the BIS server since the credentials stored for BIS on the device no longer match what the server has for BIS (since you initiated the BIS "forgot password").

All in all, I think you should ring up your carrier now...only they can look "behind the scenes" at their BIS system and your BIS account. If my suspicion about the prior BIS credentials being now invalid (due to the "forgot password"), then you need them even more to get this fixed directly in their system.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks once agin for all of your time - it is sorted!

As you suggested, I contacted my carrier, who set up a BIS ID for me.  They advised me to contact my email guy, who changed my password.  I entered this on the BIS website, and withinn about three seconds email started appearing on my phone.  Just got to look at them all now...

Thanks.

Hall of Famer II

Excellent! I'm so glad you got it sorted out. You are very welcome...and enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Visitor
My Device: Torch9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Same problem and this was the fix - thanks for fixing the headache!