Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Radj
My Device: 9800 Torch

BBm contacts

Hello,

I have 2 blackberry mobiles ( Torch, Curve) and both of the mobiles were on the same BB ID. About a few days ago I have update my BBM on both mobiles to 7th version. Before updating my BBM I made a back up of my contacts on my media card and also with BBM Protect.  After the update of the BBM, a message appeared on the screen to ask me" if I wanted to switch the device?". So I clicked  Cancel, the message came continuously and couldnt go on my messenger, so than i clicked switch device. So after that the contacts of my curve came on my Torch and the ones on my Torch I didnt see anymore, so I tried to restore my contacts with BB Protect. After restoring with BB Protect I see that I have found some of the contacts but not all of them. I also wanted to restore my contacts from within BBM self, but i see there is no option to do that in BBM 7.0. Cause had made also a back up of my contacts on my media card. My Questions are now: 1. Is there a other option to restore all of my contacts??

2. is there a option to downgrade my BBM 7 to BBM 6 or 5, so that I can restore my contacts from my media card??

3. What do you think happened with my back up on my BBM Protect??? Because restoring from BBM Protect didnt help..

Please use plain text.
Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BBm contacts

Hello Radj and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your BBM Contacts.

BBM 7 now links contacts to the BlackBerry ID. Seeing as you have two active devices, you will need to use two separate BlackBerry IDs on each device. 

Using another email account, go to www.blackberry.com/blackberryid to create a new Id for the second device.  Once you have the new ID created, you will need to back up the device and then perform a Security Wipe as shown in KB14058

After the wipe completes, log in to your BBM with the new BlackBerry ID then restore your data. 

You may need to re-invite some of the contacts on the device as they have been linked to the other BlackBerry ID.

Let me know if you're able to sort your BBM contacts issue.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Radj
My Device: 9800 Torch

I have already removed one of the device from my BB ID, and I also did the security swipe . Still it didnt help me to restore my contacts. 

Its there another option to restore my contacts, for example downgrading BBM or restoring from my media card back up within BBM 7. 

Can BB come with another update for BBM 7, to make users restore their contacts from the media card??

Please use plain text.
Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

You can downgrade your BBM to version 6 by clicking here and then restore your contacts from your media card.

Once your BBM contacts are restored, update your BBM to version 7 and your contacts will now be linked to the BlackBerry ID. 

Let us know if you're able to restore your BBM contacts.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.