Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

mcpra
My Device: Not Specified

Biometric Capability

Since you don't have a Board specifically dedicated to suggestions on how your products can be made better, I will put my suggestion here.  I have several hundred business associates using blackberry phones who HATE the fact that they must login with a passcode.  Its a huge inconvenience and dangerous when driving down the road.  At the same time, for obvious security reasons, they must have their phones password protected.

If you guys could focus on providing a business phone with a thumb scanner for authentication, I think you would sell alot of phones.  You can take away the many useless gadget stuff most business people don't use of this helps.

As a CIO of a company with over 10,000 associates, I can provide you your first big customer.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
d_fisher
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Biometric Capability

While not a bad suggestion (your should email it to bbsuggestions@rim.com)... I am going to take the devils advocate route on this one.

You should be advising your employees to pull to the side of the road if they need to read/compose an email message. Your request is actually going to increase their chances of getting into an accident. Its one thing to use the phone via a Bluetooth headset (both hands and eyes on the wheel), but reading messages is going a little far. I always cringe when I see another driver on the staring down at their cell phone (or worse yet a newspaper) while cruising down the interstate at 60+ MPH. Distracted driving is a growing problem on the roads today and illegal in many states. Unfortunately, I don't expect it to decline anytime soon with ever expanding mobile device\applications coming to market.

Please use plain text.
mbortonus
My Device: storm2

I don't believe it is your job to enforce safety.  You should be trying to sell more blackberrys.  I want biometric capabilities too and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me when that will be available.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
FA1SGL
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

You have the mistaken idea that this forum is user <> RIM.

It isn't at all.  While hosted by RIM and maintained by RIM it is purely user<>user.

It would most likely not be a RIM development feature in any case.  There are by the way devices out there for accomplishing what you want without biometrics.  Smartcard readers are on the market.

I have a solution for me that works when I see a distracted driver on the freeway here in California driving and attempting to read an email at 70 mph.  I tap my Bluetooth, say "Call CHP" and report it.  It works for me.

A distracted driver is a menace to everyone on the highway.  The problem has become so widespread many states have enacted laws prohibiting non  handsfree usage.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
voicevault
My Device: Not Specified

It could be that the answer to this practical problem is using voice biometrics.  It can form part of the hand-free environment that's som important in the car.

A bit of shameless promotion follows, but there is a reward!

I work for VoiceVault (www.voicevault.com) and we are making available, for free, our voice biometric API.  This enables you to develop applications on smartphones and tablets that make use of voice biometrics for identity verification, voice signatures, application access etc.

The development program is available to all and you can register here.

The program is supported via out Developer Forum here.

And, if this wasn't enough, we've just launched a developer challenge within the above program with a $1000 cash prize.  

To quote our challenge blog post... "We’ll award the prize to the application or service that uses the mobile device to make the best and most original use of voice biometrics (or vice versa). We want to see device characteristics being used to their best advantage – especially in what they bring to multifactor authentication (for example ownership of the device itself, it’s location, the app registration process etc). We want to see innovation, creativity and business acumen – where the use of voice biometrics in an application enhances it or the user experience associated with it. And of course that raises the bar in how voice biometric technology on smartphone platforms will really drive adoption in the future (and enrich our lives for the better!)."

Closing date is ages away – February 18th 2011 so you’ve plenty of time to write that killer app.

Thanks!

Nik Stanbridge

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ajmaq
My Device: Q 10

Yes... this is a good idea, It will pull up the Blackberry sell on the roff.
Please use plain text.