Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9860

Blackberry Torch 9850 Won't Turn on; Red Light Blinks

Hey there, so I was charging my phone overnight (which I know is not recommended but seems to be irrelevent for this situation based on my reading) and when I woke up my phone would not turn on. It stays black, and the red light has prolonged blinks (not the quick blinks that most people experience).

Now I know that my phone could be bricked, and I have troubleshooted this profusely in the past 5 hours. For most people, according to another forum, people should open the Loader.exe file in the AppLoader folder, and connect the phone. Then they should hit "Next" when "PIN UNKNOWN" shows up. Makes perfect sense to me, except when connected with and without the battery, mine recognizes the PIN.

When I hit next after timing it perfectly, I go through the multi-step loader, and it says that if cannot recognize the device. The thing that gets me is the fact that my computer is recognizing the PIN instead of the "UNKNOWN" that is associated with most OS failures. Any idea what's going on? Could this be evidence of another problem? Thanks for your time. :smileyvery-happy: Happy Thanksgiving!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850

Re: Blackberry Torch 9850 Won't Turn on; Red Light Blinks

My Device: 9930

pls how can i do dat
My Device: 9520 Storm 2 Edition

I believe this issue is related to Battery Power Solely. My Elder brother went through 2 new Batteries on his Bold; I personally had this twice (Storm2 9520); but connecting it to the PC and letting in charge solved it. It didn't work for my brother and i see my turn to buy a new battery is imminent. Even still; my battery and phone has been working for longer than all of my previous phones(Nokia; Samsung and motorola). It wouldn't hurt to invest in a new Battery and only charge when needed. Also those metallic covers help; I hope this helps someone.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850

Below is a screen cap from the battery level tool I have on the day this week that my BB 9850 bricked itself again. From the time I unplugged it in the morning I used it once very early to check email. Because I was in an intense meeting in downtown (window room), I ended up not taking the phone out of its holster all day only to find it in the same bricked condition as I had previously in November '11. At home I proceeded to try some of the things mentioned in the linked thread in my own way. Unfortunately I don't have an exact sequence to share, but with the phone connected via USB to the PC, I tried turning it on with the battery out until I got the battery "X" image. Then I alternated inserting / removing the battery, connecting / disconnecting the USB cable, and randomly pushing the 5 front face buttons and all the sudden where the battery "X" image was there was now a battery with a 'power bolt' icon!!! Soon after the phone began to reboot.

This is how I am able to share this image. However, after a full charge, the device was still discharging at a death spiral rate!  What to do????

I recalled having allowed some apps to update this past week, so I decided to delete about every app I could live without including Poynt, Twitter, Kayak, Gas Buddy, AP News, Compass - to name a few that I thought could be contributors. At this point today, I can report the phone is back to a normal discharge rate!  

This points me to the fact that it is a multi-fault situation -

#1 - The BB O.S. should not be vulnerable to allowing the phone to drain the battery beyond restart

#2 - There should be protections that keep apps from opening the radio channels to such excess that it drains the phone in a death spiral

screenCap000Temp.png

New Contributor
My Device: TORCH 9860

I found a solution for the very same problem that worked in my case. I posted it here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/A-dead-9860/m-p/1653871/highlight/false#M433...