Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel Indonesia

Blackberry dual SIM card?

Has anyone heard about RIM producing/marketing dual SIM blackberry handset? I need more info on that. Thank you.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE

Re: Blackberry dual SIM card?

[ Edited ]

A couple of years ago at WES 2008 to be exact, I spoke to a number of carriers and RIM tech about this. The response from the carriers were mixed, possible thoughts of lost revenue I think but RIM tech folked seemed quite enthusiastic about the idea. The general thought from Tech team was that this was possible however it would warrant a rethink on the casing of the device and therefore would require a significant number of folk requesting it. 

the idea I had went kind of further than just a dual sim for voice, I suggested that it would be great to be able to split both Data and Voice over the sim cards such that, working in a University, the departments could pick up the tab for the Data charge and students/staff handle the voice calls.

Am still interested in this as a concept so certainly would be interested in what other folk think. 

Cheers

Mark

My original post on this ...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-Smartphone/We-want-a-Dual-SIM-BlackBerry/m...

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

I haven't heard anything about that....

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

My Device: 8830 World Edition

Seems like a great idea from my perspective!

Were RIM to develop/support a BB with dual sim / dual account capability (that would also operate within a bes environment), it seems likely to me that many users in a corporate/enterprise environment would be very supportive, and would actually advocate for that with their employer.

Potential benefits to RIM include:

1. establishing global market standard,

2. having a bes end-user base that advocates within their enterprise for use of the solution, &

3. having a bes end-user base that "invests" more in bb environment due to work+personal benefits, thereby reducing incentive to use/acquire a different smartphone.

Potential benefits to End-Users include:

1. dollar savings from not having to purchase a second smart phone device, &

2. compelling reason for end-users to switch 100% to bb environment for personal smartphone.

Potential benefits to Enterprise customers include:

1. ability to provide zero cash cost financial benefit to employee end-users, perhaps with little/no tax consequence to employer and/or employee, &

2. increased incentive for corporate bb users to "invest" time in make the most of their blackberry, given the combined work & personal benefits.

Likely costs/challenges include:

1. developing device and enhancing bes (and bb os) to ensure that there is a secure wall between data and applications used on the device for corporate purposes versus personal uses,

2. developing standards, software etc necessary for corporate communication service providers (e.g. Telus, Bell, Rogers in Canada) to support dual sim / dual account bb in practice.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

graybeard wrote:

Seems like a great idea from my perspective!

Were RIM to develop/support a BB with dual sim / dual account capability (that would also operate within a bes environment), it seems likely to me that many users in a corporate/enterprise environment would be very supportive, and would actually advocate for that with their employer.

Potential benefits to RIM include:

1. establishing global market standard,

2. having a bes end-user base that advocates within their enterprise for use of the solution, &

3. having a bes end-user base that "invests" more in bb environment due to work+personal benefits, thereby reducing incentive to use/acquire a different smartphone.

Potential benefits to End-Users include:

1. dollar savings from not having to purchase a second smart phone device, &

2. compelling reason for end-users to switch 100% to bb environment for personal smartphone.

Potential benefits to Enterprise customers include:

1. ability to provide zero cash cost financial benefit to employee end-users, perhaps with little/no tax consequence to employer and/or employee, &

2. increased incentive for corporate bb users to "invest" time in make the most of their blackberry, given the combined work & personal benefits.

Likely costs/challenges include:

1. developing device and enhancing bes (and bb os) to ensure that there is a secure wall between data and applications used on the device for corporate purposes versus personal uses,

2. developing standards, software etc necessary for corporate communication service providers (e.g. Telus, Bell, Rogers in Canada) to support dual sim / dual account bb in practice.

...nice compilation... I hope someone listens to it!

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit