Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Visitor
techmaster
My Device: Not Specified

Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) Quality

I got a Sprint 8330 and the Sony Eric HBH-DS970 Stero Bluetooth Headset. The issue I have is the poor audio quality for music. Higher frequency components are very distorted. I know it's not an issue with the DS970 headset. I have used it with several other devices and gotten excellent music quality.

I had the same issue with my prior phone Sprint Touch (HTC). For the Touch phone this was easy to fix by increasing MaxBitPool and turing off JointStereo in the Windows Mobile registry. These are parameters defined in the Bluetooth A2DP specifications. Does anyone know if these parameters can be modified on a Blackberry?

I did check other Blackberry phone's A2DP quality:

ATT Bold: Excellent music quality

ATT 8320: Bad

Verizon Storm: OK

Verizon 8330: bad just like Sprint 8330

So it seems newer phones / OS > 4.6 are much better.

I think Blackberry should look into this. It may be fixable by simply modifying the BT parameters. It will increase power consumption a bit - but with this poor A2DP quality Blackberry should NOT claim they support A2DP on the Curves.

Please use plain text.
dzl
New Contributor
dzl

Re: Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) Quality

I recently just moved from an LG VX-9100 to a BB 8830.

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I just want to bring more interest to this topic. I agree with everything the OP states, this issue really should be fixed! I can't believe the poor quality.

The VX9100 (and the VX9800) had MUCH MUCH better sound quality over A2DP. What gives? I really hope RIM can fix this terrible crutch.

FWIW, I have tested the poor quality with my Motorola S9 headset and the Kensington Liquid AUX handsfree kit (A2DP to AUX) which both produce the same results.

RIM--PLEASE FIX THIS FOR US!

Please use plain text.
dzl
New Contributor
dzl

bump
Please use plain text.
idontpay
My Device: 8830 World Edition
My Carrier: Sprint

Try these on for size and have some and they're reasonaby priced or let me know if you have found something else that works. :smileyvery-happy:

Nuvelli  wireless bluetooth

Blackberry World Edition 8830 GPRS,CDMA

v4.2.2.196

Please use plain text.
Visitor
wj_ferguson

i agree i have the 8330 and the quality stinks! the re3mote part works great however, the music quality on my "smartphone" sounds very distorted. RIM please make a fix and send in a update thank you.

Please use plain text.