Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Can BlackBerry Erase Magnetic Card or Electronic Car Key?

Myth or Truth? Can your BlackBerry–or any other cell phone–erase, disable, or otherwise damage your: Credit card? Debit card? ATM card? Gift card? Hotel key card? ID swipe card? Electronic car key? What Has Happened to Me Gift Card Story Today I went to my favorite grocery store that also has the cheapest gasoline in town. But to get the best price, you have to [...]

read the complete article here :
http://newbbie.com/2009/01/31/can-blackberry-erase-magnetic-card-or-electronic-car-key/
(2009-01-31 by Kelly Carter)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can BlackBerry Erase Magnetic Card or Electronic Car Key?

I have read maybe two stories in my experience where this *might* have happened, and in each case there were othere circumstances which the poster could not answer that might have entered in to the situation.

Could it happen? Probably.

Does it happen often? No.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

That's very interesting, Xandrex.

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

it happened to me in a Hilton hotel. We were about 10 people with Blackberry devices (8700, 8800, 8310, 8320). 7 of us had their room keys wiped. When I went to the lounge, a bit panicked, I was asked "do you own a mobile phone, a smartphone, or a BlackBerry phone?" So I answered yes and the person just re-inscripted magnetic datas on the little card. He was well aware of that.

At that time, I just thought to myself : "those people are not professional, they should have told me that when they first gave me the key". It was only 6PM so no big deal,

But what would have happened, say, if I had gone at night for a naked swim with just a towel and my key card?
I'd be on every security camera record of the hotel by now ! maybe on YouTube already.

It should be written somewhere on the BlackBerry documentation too.

Please note the important information of this article : it may happen on cards which information is changed frequently, like a hotel card, or a transportation card (or a Disney Fast Pass?) but not on a card with persistent data like your credit card.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Xandrex wrote:
But what would have happened, say, if I had gone at night for a naked swim with just a towel and my key card?
I'd be on every security camera record of the hotel by now ! maybe on YouTube already.

Well, we need a good laugh, so please let us know when this happens.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
geoffreyf
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

This story doesn't make any sense to me at all.  First the "Electrical Engineer" on that web site throws words around but ultimately doesn't use them cogently.  Throwing up a bunch of formulas might impress some but they mean nothing to his claims.

The Blackberry doesn't do anything "Electromagnetically" that any other phone on the same network doesn't also do.

Many phones also have magnetic clasps in their holsters, motors for the vibrators, speakers and so on.  There is no magic in blackberry that is not in every phone.   Obviously, different blackberrys are ahhh, well different in their layout and physical form.  So, consistent behavior is more less and not more confirming.

Magnetic recordings on tapes and what not ARE NOT cleared by electromagnetic energy.   They are cleared by rapidly changing magnetic fields but this is not related to but not really the same thing as electromagnetic waves.

What is more likely to clear credit cards, room keys and so on are metal detectors, being very close to the motors for an elevator (or another big motor) and other things that could happen in hotels etc.

Also, there is nothing in all of this that is really scientific. Where is the experimental control?  What about people who didn't have blackberrys?  Didn't have cell phones?  Did they have trouble?  Are you sure, did you ask everyone?

Nope, I don't take this seriously at all.

Contributor
kellycarter
My Device: Pearl, Curve, and Storm

To geoffreyf,

What's with the attitude, dude, about MY article (yes, I'm the electrical engineer)? Try reading the article like I'm a person worthy of at least a modicum of respect. Maybe then we can have a civil discussion in this public forum.

To any others interested in this topic,

Please visit the recently revised article where I did follow up with more controlled experimentation (not as a result of geoffreyf's remarks--I just stumbled across that, rather because I wanted more evidence myself). My article is a BLOG ARTICLE for the average web surfer who is interested in BlackBerry phones, not a peer-reviewed article in a professional journal. There IS a difference. I think you will find the additional testing I've done interesting. Scientifically conclusive? Of course not. Strongly suggestive? I think so. Others are welcome to do better research and give a respectable challenge. Including Mr. GeoffreyF.

Kelly Carter

http://newBBie.com 

Kelly Carter, BlackBerry blogger: newBBie.com
Contributor
vdl68
My Device: 8820, Curve

This is simply a myth! It has to take a very strong magnet to wipe out a magnetic data strip, plain and simple.
Contributor
kellycarter
My Device: Pearl, Curve, and Storm

vdl68,

Did you not read the article (recently revised) plus the comments from readers? There is very strong evidence that certain cards--not all, but some--can be "erased" by coming in proximity to a cell phone or its case (with magnetic closure). I don't report this to slam the BlackBerry, but as a service to BlackBerry (or other brand of cell phones) owners.

You are right that some cards require an unusually strong magnetic field to alter/damage/erase. But others obviously do NOT. Not all cards are created equal, apparently. 

Anybody else who visits this thread, please read the article (without prejudice) and reader comments (with additional evidence, if anecdotal) and decide for yourself.

Kelly Carter

http://newBBie.com 

Kelly Carter, BlackBerry blogger: newBBie.com