Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
sq_new
My Device: No current BB user
Accepted Solution

Can a BB be hacked?

Hi,

I'm considering buying a BB smartphone because their enhanced security features. However, a friend of mine mentionned that a user in his company reported being hacked during a trip. That person tells that during his trip his BB rebooted several times and that he saw the cursor in his smartphone moving by itself. That's why he thinks he was hacked.

Could this be possible?

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Can a BB be hacked?

Possible?  If he left his phone unattended for an extended period of time and didn't have a password to protect it, then yes it's possible.  Probable?  Not likely.

It's not the first time I've heard of a the cursor on a BlackBerry moving by itself.  In fact, my Torch does it all the time.  I simply hold my finger over the trackpad for a second and it stops.  Or maybe it's that BlackBerry phones are SO smart, they perform some functions on their own without needing us and those functions require that the cursor be moved.

All kidding aside, your friend's phone is safe.  For added protection, it's suggested you enable a password on your phone and do regular data backups.  That way, if someone does get ahold of the phone, that person has a maximum of ten attempts (it can be set to fewer if you wish) to get into the phone.  After that, the phone will completely wipe itself of all information.  You simply replace your phone and restore it with one of the data backups and it's like nothing ever happened.

I hope that explains things for you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
sq_new
My Device: No current BB user

Thanks for your answer.

Only by curiosity, in the case of my friend's BB, what would be the worst case scenario if he left his phone unattended and some malicious person had access to it?

Access to contact information? To email messages? To voice conversations?

Is there any kind of known trojan application for BB that could have been installed in his smartphone?

Elite II
BillJ

The worst case scenario involving your friend's phone would be that someone got ahold of it, read his emails, copied some of his contacts to their list, sent out some offensive SMS messages from his phone and made some long-distance calls on his nickel.  At present, there are no known trojans for BlackBerry phones.

If that worst case scenario is within his limits of tolerance, he'll be just fine.  If he's paranoid that more has taken place than that, he can simply do a data backup, wipe the phone clean, restore the backup to his phone and carry on knowing that his phone is secure.

I hope that clears things up for you and your friend.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

DianaNelson
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360

Blackberry Curve 9360

[ Edited ]

Someone haked my Blackberry without being exposed to it.  They have the audio/visual video recorder on and will not let me delete it.  All my security software they have turned off and I cannot restart,

I need someone to handle and identifying the hacking done and to what measure and keep with North Carolina Regulations.  When I received BB he was into it in a matter of minutes.  I now have it off with SMS & Battery removed.

I would like all information handled in a professional manner.  If you are able, please let me know or advise me of someone you think is.

Please contact me @ my email of:  (personal info removed)@delivers.com

Many thanks,

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Blackberry Curve 9360

DianaNelson wrote:

Someone haked my Blackberry without being exposed to it.  They have the audio/visual video recorder on and will not let me delete it.  All my security software they have turned off and I cannot restart,

I need someone to handle and identifying the hacking done and to what measure and keep with North Carolina Regulations.  When I received BB he was into it in a matter of minutes.  I now have it off with SMS & Battery removed.

I would like all information handled in a professional manner.  If you are able, please let me know or advise me of someone you think is.

Please contact me @ my email of:  diananelson@pilotdelivers.com

Many thanks,

First, this board is monitored by BlackBerry but is not an official support channel.  Most of us are just other users who like to help. 

Fortunately, what you describe is not possible without someone getting the device in their hands physically (or unless it's attached to a corporate server.)  However, here is how to fix whatever is wrong with the device.  Be sure and make a backup before doing this:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18998

Also, please remove your personal information from this public post. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
stormangel
My Device: blackberry arch

My ex has somehow gained access to all my out going and in coming messages, emails and calls. How can I stop this?
Contributor
bbmamalawi
My Device: Bold 9900

Wipe your device!Make sure you have blackberry protect
Elite II
BillJ

"...a virus of madness and addiction!"

Love it!! :smileyhappy: