Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: 8700g
My Carrier: vodafone

Charging Issue - blackberry 8700

Hiya,

I have a blckberry 8700 that i've kept around the house as a spare - bought off ebay ages ago as 'spares and repairs' bought a new battery for it, and had to do some crazy stuff to takeoff restrictions on it, but used it for several months while awaiting a replcement from a insurance company for my normal phone. It's been floating around my house for over a year with no use and now I need it as my phone needs to go for repair.

My problem is, when I plus it into a charger or USB port the red light comes on, and then just after the battery icon turns up with a red line through it. Obviously this means its not charging  . . . but what could the problem be, and is it fixable?!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Charging Issue - blackberry 8700

The first thing to do is to try another charging cord.  All cords look alike but not all act alike.  Some cords will transfer data, others will not.  Some will charge certain brands of smartphones while they won't for others.  Try a different cord to see if that's the issue.

Next, when charging you want to make sure you're using a wall charger (the preferred method of charging) and not a car charger or USB hub.  Again, a USB hub will transfer data but will not always allow charging. 

I was having an issue with charging a few days ago.  I was using a USB hub on my PC with a cord that wasn't interested in charging my phone.  By simply swapping cords, I was able to charge my phone.  If swapping cords did not work, I would have proceeded to a wall charger with that cord.

Mix and match cords and charging methods until you a combination that works for you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: 8700g
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Charging Issue - blackberry 8700

Thanks  for the response, i've tried a wall charger and a USB cable, same thing with both - they were also the same charger and cable I used when I originally got the blackberry.

I've actually now found out that my current blackberry has the same battery and that works fine in the old one, so it's obvioulsy the battery thats shot. Which is annoying as I bought it new just over a year ago and have hardly used it!!

Oh well, won't be using that phone.