Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
patchsong
My Device: Curve 8530
Accepted Solution

Correct Blackberry password is not accepted and it shows what I'm typing instead of masking it with asterisks!

I'm locked out of my Blackberry again because it appears to be malfunctioning.  When I type the password, it shows what I'm typing, instead of masking it with asterisks, and reverts to the alphabet unless I press Alt+ the key.  Even when I carefully enter the correct password, it always says it's wrong.  I have 2 or 3 tries left.  Last time this happened a few months ago, it ended up wiping everything.  I would like to avoid losing some valuable audio files that are stored only on the phone.  Thanks!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Correct Blackberry password is not accepted and it shows what I'm typing instead of masking it with asterisks!

I think you have a couple misconceptions about BlackBerry device passwords.

1. When you have entered the password incorrectly about five times, the ****** mask will show you the actual characters you are entering with the intent to help you see what you're entering.

2. Often users who have multiple numerals in their password will only press the ALT key for the first numeral and not those following, so for instance, if your password were "1234", you might have been pressing "Alt 1234" on the device, which makes the actual password to be "1ers".

Does that make sense? Does it sound familiar to your usage? So check the way you enter your password on the device... do you think you are entering multiple numbers but actually are not?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
j0k
Contributor
j0k
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

Re: Correct Blackberry password is not accepted and it shows what I'm typing instead of masking it with asterisks!

I believe that It does not actually revert back to alphabet. But it just types in whatever you're punching in your keypad. If you've setup a password without entering the Alt key, then you've entered a password with letters, not numbers. Meaning, you should punch in those letters corresponding to the numbers.

JSanders

j0k wrote:

I believe that It does not actually revert back to alphabet. But it just types in whatever you're punching in your keypad. If you've setup a password without entering the Alt key, then you've entered a password with letters, not numbers. Meaning, you should punch in those letters corresponding to the numbers.

Exactly. The password has not changed. Only that since it was initially masked, the user doesn't really know what his password was... all letters, no numbers, since no ALT key might have been pressed. This is common.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
patchsong

I can see that the 4 numberials that comprise my password are being entered properly.  I press ALT before each one.  Even when I see that I have typed the password perfectly--the same one I enter every day, many times a day, it rejects it.

New Contributor
patchsong

Thanks.  Got it working by leaving the letters instead.  Awesome!  I wish my cell phone store (and carrier) had known this.  Then I wouldn't have lost tons of data last time.

JSanders

You're welcome, good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates