Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Mobile
Accepted Solution

Difference between OS7.0.0 Bundle 2466 and 7.1?

Hi guys,

I have Bold 9790, updated to OS 7.0.0 Bundle 2466 which is the last update offered by my carrier. Whatever was not included in the bundle I have updated from AppWorld (which is latest version of Wikitude, BBM, AppWorld itself and so on)

So what is the difference between OS 7.0 Bundle 2466 and OS 7.1?

A guy in our company told me it is not much. But he didn't mentioned anything special.

Is there a page on this website where I could see the official release notes for the major builds? Most users would not be really interested in every release note detail for every released bundle, but it would be good if they have did it for the major bundles.

Thanks

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Difference between OS7.0.0 Bundle 2466 and 7.1?

Here is a page with some info about what's new in OS 7.1.

http://ca.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/blackberry-7-os.html#tab-1

As a heads up, I noticed that you're on Wind, and Wind does have OS version 7.1.0.746 available for the Bold 9790.

You can manually download the installer file from here if you like:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=B27D5296BEDE63B1493A5D321D4E8092

To install it to your device, download to your computer, run the file, then use the Desktop Software to back up and update your device.

I hope the info here helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

**bleep** you're right it's available! I last checked before new year and it wasn't. Good, will experiment to upgrade then.

Questions:

1) Will I lose my personal data (documents, etc) which resides on the phone memory (it's clear the mem.card won't be touched I guess). In case of failure, I will try to re-install the 2466 bundle. It's clear I will lose all my software updates if I downgrade. I am safe for contacts etc since I backup both on Blackberry Protect and the Windows desktop software, however would expect that to be preserved, during an upgrade.

2) actually when upgrading to 7.1 will it keep all my software installs and documents and so on? Sure when you re-install your Windows or Linux it won't keep anything, unless you put it on a separate hard disk partition. However this is a phone and most users will assume the update will somehow keep that stuff untouched. Who knows, maybe the phone have also multiple partitions?? Haven't started digging that deep yet.

Thanks
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

All of your documents, etc. will be left untouched as those are saved under a seperate device memory, so those files will be clear.

Depending on how you upgrade, your applications should all transfer over. If you do lose any, you can just redownload them via App World on your device.

Note: If you want to start your device from scratch, you can choose the advanced options to delete all your applications and data. If you choose this option, make sure you back up your data first so that you can restore it after. Again though, all of your documents, pictures, and other files stored on your device will be safe as they are stored under the device memory, not application memory.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

Just finished checking the main applications. Successfully updated to OS 7.1.0 Bundle 2102

So far so good except the installation didn't recovered my BBM chats. :smileysad: :smileysad:

Anyway. Everything else works
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Fido

one of the major updates is the "Mobile Hotspot" feature