Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
mahen915
My Carrier: Verizon

E-Mail Functionality

This might turn into an open letter to RIM, so please bear with me.

I have been a BlackBerry user for 4 years now and, as a non-enterprise user, I am running into too many limitations to e-mail functionality.

1. Truncated Email

This is the first aspect in which other platforms exceed in e-mail and can draw me away from BlackBerry. I understand the need for truncated messages in other parts of the world where 3G/4G are not as prevalent as here in the States, but where unlimited data plans are required for many smartphones, this limitation is not needed. I vote to make these at the very least, optional for users to select whether to view the entire message or not. I can't tell you how many emails I've received only to find the "Truncated XXXXkb." It is very frustrating.

2. Email Attachment Size Limitations

The email attachment size limitations via BIS are very unpleasant. If I shoot a video of a couple seconds, it is already too big to be email to send via E-mail and I am forced to have to be near a computer before I can send the video. This is another limitation that I'm looking to move away from BlackBerry for.

This goes even deeper with the browser on OS6. Today, I tried accessing the new Twitter Mobile site only to receive an error that the site is too large to view. This needs to change.

3. Exchange/Folder Integration

The only way for BIS users to access exchange is either through OWA (without PUSH) or through BES. Other platforms allow exchange functionality with the same data plans for the same prices that BIS users pay for their data plans. Unfortunately, BIS users need to pay extra to access Exchange with Activesync capabilities through BES. If the company does not deploy BES, then we are stuck with OWA. 

Folder Integration is very unintuitive. If I have rules that skip my Inbox and have e-mail automatically placed in folders, I have to go to the folder to see that there are unread emails in there. The iPhone for instance shows a folder listing for only that account and, at a quick glance, I can view unread emails associated directly with the folder. 

4. Gmail Plugin

This may be a bug, but in the event that it is by design, I'd like to bring it up to your attention. Gmail has the 'All Mail' category and the 'Inbox' Category. The plugin checks the ALL MAIL folder for new email, however, by default, the Gmail plugin shows the Inbox. If I have filters that skip the inbox and go to ALL MAIL (aka. ARCHIVED), I get notification of new email, but opening the Gmail mailbox does not display new messages, unless I go to filter and ALL MAIL. Maybe a quick little count next to the folder name of unread messages in that folder would go a LONG way in alleviating this issue.

I hope someone takes the time to read this and pass it on to the appropriate individuals.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: E-Mail Functionality

mahen915 wrote:

This might turn into an open letter to RIM, so please bear with me.

I hope someone takes the time to read this and pass it on to the appropriate individuals.

Thanks.

You should know, this forum is the last place you ought to drop a open letter to RIM, and actually expect someone of note to read it. This is a user to user community forum. There's a CONTACT link at the bottom of the Blackberry.com page with all the addresses relevant to sending RIM a letter.

1. This is part of the miracle of how RIM's email push and compressed data works with RIM and BlackBerrys. Only the first chuck of 2k of an email is initially transmittted and only when you open the email and scroll down does it begin to grab the next 2k chuck. It's how BIS and BES were designed and you will rave reviews from users on how RIM push email uses about 15% of the bandwidth of users data than other smartphone technologies.

2. Ditto, but your numbers are way off. A couple seconds video and even double, triple and 10x that is not too large to send via email. I think the cap currently is 6mb? I need to check.

3. Yep, you're not alone.

4. Don't use it.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.