Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
akafudge
My Device: None

Email support

[ Edited ]

Hello, a quick question please. 

Historically, the sole reason I have never had a Blackberry is because there has never been local client email support without a Blackberry data plan. Therefore, I was wondering if Blackberry have changed its tune in this respect yet?

Many thanks.  

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Email support

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Nope -- the formal support model remains as dictated by all of the contracts folks sign. RIM signs with the carriers, and the carriers sign their end users. Each carriers takes 100% of the front-line support burden for their customers, and can escalate into RIM for cases requiring such.

RIM does offer something called "Incident Support" -- but that is a fee-based model and costs the end user to just ask their initial question direct to RIM.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
akafudge

Hello sdgardne, many thanks for confirming what I still suspected. It is a real shame but I suppose that the Blackberry business mode is such that this limitation is worthwhile sticking with.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Well, one might think of it as a "limitation", while others may think of it as a "distribution". You see, RIM does not have to employ an army of support staff, since those would be redundant to what the carriers commit to employ by virtue of signing their contract with RIM.

Further, the carriers control their customers experience. The carriers sell to the customer the specific data package components. The carriers deliver all services to their customers. The carriers control the BB models and OS levels that they will provide support for. Hence, the carrier actually has the closest relationship with their end user, and is perhaps better positioned to provide the specifics of support that their customer base requires.

Lastly, since it is the carrier who is delivering the services, only they have access to the necessary "back end" systems through which to diagnose and resolve many problems faced by their users. A centralized support model would preclude such diagnosis and resolution.

Anyway, those are all of course merely my personal theories...the support model is what it is, and debating the relative merits of it is an interesting academic exercise, but serves to change nothing about what everyone is committed to by virtue of the contracts that they have signed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
akafudge

[ Edited ]

I understand and see the sense in your argument. However, it does not make me want to buy a Blackberry mobile and therefore, the sense in your argument is irrelevant to me, personally. 

In addition, my wife had a Playbook for a very short period and due to the hassle she had with Blackberry support, she now has an Ipad. The Playbook literally went 'in the bin' and she accepted the loss and put it down to experience; an experience which means she will never buy anything Blackberry again.

Anyway, no need to reply, I am sure Blackberry knows best what customers want and how support should work. Their financial results clearly prove this...perhaps not!

Anyway, I do hope they manage to turn things around as the market needs the competition.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

akafudge wrote:

Hello, a quick question please. 

Historically, the sole reason I have never had a Blackberry is because there has never been local client email support without a Blackberry data plan.  

there are some local client email apps available on BlackBerry phones. They may not all be available in the AppWorld, but there are some.

That being said, you should check with the carriers available for your country. In France, the BlackBerry data plan costs 0 compared to a regular data plan, so there is absolutely no inconvenience to take a BlackBerry data plan instead of a regular data plan.

so in the end, the conclusion is that the business model depends on the carrier, and not so much on RIM.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: