Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

FAQ : BlackBerry Web Signals Technology for Third Party Content Services

hi,

back in October, 2008, RIM announced the new Web Signals technology
the official Press Release is here :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Hello&thread.id=56&jump=true

The following is my understanding of the Web Signals technology.

Get information : state of the art
To this day, users who want to get updated have many ways:
  • going on the website and look at the News page
  • subscribing to a newsletter and have notifications sent by email that stacks in regular mail flow of information
  • using an RSS feed (inside the BlackBerry Browser, or using a dedicated application like Viigo)

Why a new thing?

All these information channels are standard and have been used for years, but all these were not using the abilities of the BlackBerry technologies. So the idea was to create a new channel that would be pushed directly from server-side, but to a cool location.

So what is exactly? For the layman?
Web Signals is basically an icon on your home screen, with a little indicator so show when there are new things. It's the same indicator as on the Messages icon and the SMS icon.

How does it work?
you go on website that has created a web signal, and subscribe to it. It is usually free. The icon then appears on your Home Screen.

FAQs

1) seems like installing a Web Signal on BES is influenced by the IT policy. If you cannot install Themes or Applications, you can't install Web Signals

2) unsubscribing to Web Signals is easy but you must know how. You just have to go to the following page, using your BlackBerry device: http://push.na.blackberry.com/mss/PM_subList

3) you can move the Web Signals icon just like any other static icon on your Home Screen.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: