Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Kite_Runner
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Movistar

Re: HOST ROUTING TABLE FUNCTIONS (HRT ENTRIES)

Thanks a lot for your interest and support!!

This is the store where I bought the item. http://stores.ebay.com/cellphoneforever

I checked the SIM with the MEPD procedure and several entries are Disabled except  3 that are in blank: Personalization, phone number, unknown number.

I checked for Policies and is "No Services"

I checked in the Telefonica (Movistar) list and Torch 9800 is available.

I work for IBM, and as you imagine we have a large number of phones in contract with Movistar.... I am sure that the problem is more a "know how" problem of the people who perform the technical support in Uruguay, since most of the IT infrastructure is in Argentina or other countries.

Ten minutes ago, the acount mgr for IBM in Movistar asked me to hand the phone to the Tech Support to try a System reinstall.

... do you have any suggestion for them to be transmited.?

Regards

Angel

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Kite_Runner wrote:

This is the store where I bought the item. http://stores.ebay.com/cellphoneforever 

Sorry, I have no ability to judge the reputability of any seller.

Kite_Runner wrote:

I checked the SIM with the MEPD procedure and several entries are Disabled except  3 that are in blank: Personalization, phone number, unknown number. 

So, to be 100% clear, the "Network" entry was either "Inactive" or "Disabled"? That's the critical MEP entry to indicate if the BB is or is not unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier. See this for sample screen images:

Kite_Runner wrote:

I checked for Policies and is "No Services" 

I don't know what OS level you are running, but please re-check the KB above...the required depiction is critical in that, with OS 6 thru 7.1, there must be no "Services" HEADER. Only for older OS's is "No Services" the proper result under a Services Header.

It is also possible that your BB has one of those "stealth" IT Policies that I mentioned...the only way to be sure that no such thing exists is by following the proper procedure to wipe it out. But, I'll get to that in a second as part of the OS reload you wish to do.

Kite_Runner wrote:

I checked in the Telefonica (Movistar) list and Torch 9800 is available.

I work for IBM, and as you imagine we have a large number of phones in contract with Movistar.... I am sure that the problem is more a "know how" problem of the people who perform the technical support in Uruguay, since most of the IT infrastructure is in Argentina or other countries.

Ahhh...now that I better know the country/carrier you are using, I can as well validate that statement. I also see that the latest version they offer is 6.0.0.600 (the "Applications" entry is the important one regarding version information). I think that other carriers may have newer OS levels for that model, so you can consider such if you so desire.

Kite_Runner wrote:

Ten minutes ago, the acount mgr for IBM in Movistar asked me to hand the phone to the Tech Support to try a System reinstall.

... do you have any suggestion for them to be transmited.?

Here is the process I recommend (note that you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the exact BB OS package that is currently running on your BB:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB when prompted...skip any automated things it offers!

6) If there is data on the BB that needs to be preserved, then take a full backup, and note carefully the location of the stored (on the PC) backup file (you will need it later):

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

7) After the backup completes, proceed to eliminating the potential for a latent/stealth IT Policy:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

8) Shut down the Desktop Software and disconnect the BB from the USB tether.

9) If you wish to continue using the OS currently installed on the BB, then skip to step 13b. Otherwise, continue.

10) Uninstall from the PC the Device OS package

11) Install to the PC the OS package you desire (re-do step 3 above if necessary, but this time seeking out a newer OS level for your BB, likely from a different carrier)

12) Do step 4 again (delete all copies of VENDOR.XML)

13a) If you chose a different OS package than the one installed to the BB, then launch the Desktop Software...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue. If it does not, then disconnect the BB from the PC (leave the Desktop Software as it is), remove the battery from the BB, connect the BB to the USB, insert the BB battery, and then follow the Desktop Software prompts to retry the OS loading.

13b) If you wish to reload your current OS, then follow this procedure:

• http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-Syste...
  • Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. Also, you can skip steps therein if they are redundant to what you've already done (e.g., you already took a backup, so you can skip that).
  • Note further that it's possible to use this procedure even to move to a different OS...you can choose to skip step 13a in favor of this method if you so desire.

14) Get your BB running on your carrier network for at least voice-level services

Do the next steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 15 and 16 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

15) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

16) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

17) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If any of those steps do not complete properly, then you have no point in continuing...data services, from your carrier, will not function unless and until those steps complete properly.

18) If you took an earlier backup, then conduct a selective (not FULL!!!) restore from the backup file you took earlier:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
  • Again, DO NOT DO A FULL RESTORE...if you do, you will put back any IT Policy that may have existed, putting you right back where you started. When you do the restore, skip past any databases you do not require, especially any having to do with IT Policies:
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

With that, things will hopefully be totally cleansed and you will be all good to go. Otherwise, it'll be back to the carrier to see if they can figure out what is going on. Remember that there is no guarantee of functionality of any device on any carrier if that carrier did not directly sell you the device.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AceVentura
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone NZ

hi there

read your msg, i can tell you with my experience:

A. your 9800 looks like been pin locked. in this case, your phone still brand new, still can txt and make phone calls, even wifi, but you can not get bis, or bes on it. because when the ebay seller got the phone, it already pre-regist with a service provider. you need to check service provider id to find out which one.

it usually happen with europ-market blackberry.

B. apply for refund with the seller, wipe the phone won't help it, reload os won't solve it. you are in the dead end. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

AceVentura wrote:

hi there

read your msg, i can tell you with my experience:

A. your 9800 looks like been pin locked. in this case, your phone still brand new, still can txt and make phone calls, even wifi, but you can not get bis, or bes on it. because when the ebay seller got the phone, it already pre-regist with a service provider. you need to check service provider id to find out which one.

it usually happen with europ-market blackberry.

B. apply for refund with the seller, wipe the phone won't help it, reload os won't solve it. you are in the dead end. 

Hello,

A resonable assumption, though contradicted by what the poster was told by their carrier. Yes, the carrier could be incorrect or just not bothering to help out, but it may be prudent to stay with what they say...the poster should of course challenge what their carrier told them just to be 100% sure. It will be the posters choice as to which avenue of advice to follow, and you could well be 100% correct...but, with the information at hand, that remains an assumption rather than a known fact (since only the carrier can actually validate it).

Cheers and thanks!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AceVentura
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone NZ

cheers mate :smileyhappy:

when i got my 9900, i couldn't get bis, so i check with my provider vodafone nz, and they told me pin is locked, and i try to wipe, reload whatever you can think about, no luck.

and also i even check the vendor id to find out how many vendor might sold this phone, so far i tried 7 europe providers, no luck at all, some of them never reply (maybe the language?) some of them did reply but said the pin never regist with them.

so the only soultion i got was: sell the phone with low price and bought one from HK, and it work straight way....

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

AceVentura wrote:

cheers mate :smileyhappy:

when i got my 9900, i couldn't get bis, so i check with my provider vodafone nz, and they told me pin is locked, and i try to wipe, reload whatever you can think about, no luck.

and also i even check the vendor id to find out how many vendor might sold this phone, so far i tried 7 europe providers, no luck at all, some of them never reply (maybe the language?) some of them did reply but said the pin never regist with them.

so the only soultion i got was: sell the phone with low price and bought one from HK, and it work straight way....

Yes...I completely believe that your situation was exactly as you describe it (it happens far too much, and we have far too many posts on this site for exactly that situation). But that does not directly say that the same applies to the poster here seeking a solution. BBs can, if all is done correctly, function on different carriers than those for which they were originally manufactured. As you learned, there was a BIS account somewhere in the world assigned to your BB PIN, and you could not figure out what carrier to make the request to for releasing the PIN from their system so that your carrier could create a BIS account (only one BIS account per BB PIN can exist anywhere in the world at one moment in time). It is important to understand that typically (for reasons of fraud and theft), the carriers refuse such requests from other than the actual account holder (according to their records)...so, in your case, even if you had managed to determine which carrier to make your request of, they likely would have refused anyway since you were not the account holder according to their records.

Typically, the carrier one attempts to register their BB on can tell if this problem exists...and, when the poster made the request of their carrier, no issues of this kind were raised. But you are correct...it would be worth the poster asking this specifically of their carrier -- is the carrier actually able to create the BIS account in their own system? If so, then your situation does not apply to this poster...if they cannot, then your situation might apply (though it also could be locked due to report of lost or stolen).

Thanks again!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kite_Runner

I rechecked the info... This is the details.

SIM Disabled

Network Disabled

Network Subset Disbled

Service Provider: Disabled

Corporate: Disabled

Phone Number:  Unknow Number

Options->Device-> About Device Versions

Blackberry 9800 Smartphone (3G, WIFI)

V6.0.0.246, (Bundle 695, Platform 6.4.0.105)

In Security Status Information there is only one header with only on line (Not between quotes as I put in my previos email)

Services

* No Services *

I will initiate the reinstalation procedure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kite_Runner

Hi... I tried all steps until 15) I didn´t recieve any message from the carrier.

What can I do?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Nothing...this is a matter between the device itself and the carrier data network...you would need to continue escalating with them to attempt to resolve it. However, this begins to add more credence to the theory inserted above by AceVentura (as well as the other possible theories of loss, theft, etc.). But, you have no independent means to validate...only your carrier can do that "behind the scenes" and/or via escalation to RIM (which, likewise, you cannot independently do...only your carrier can escalate your case into RIM).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KieranA1998
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: EE

HELP!!! My new Blackberry just wont allow my Host Routing settings, i register for it but no settings come through, also it wont let me set BBM up AT ALL, it just goes to bbm set up screen and doesnt stop loading and saying setting up bbm even though the phone hasnt froze, what do i need to do?

Please use plain text.