Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

HOWTO : put a video for Blackberry

Hi,

when you have a video on your desktop, and want to put it on your Blackberry, chances are it won't be in the right format. you have three ways of getting the stuff into your BB :
  • you can use the Roxio Media Manager (see the numerous discussions about that program that is available when you download the "Blackberry Desktop Manager with Media Manager"
  • you can use a convertor web->blackberry like http://blueapple.mobi/
  • you can convert yourself the video, then move it to your Blackberry.

For the uploading to your blackberry, easiest way is to connect your Blackberry, set it to be in "Mass Storage" mode (UMS), and drag'n'drop the file in your \Videos\ folder on your blackberry (you don't need the Desktop Manager to do that).

For the conversion of the video, I have discovered a free and open-source program called AKME FFmpeg (ugly name, but user friendly). It can be downloaded here : SourceForge >> AKME FFmpeg .

there's only one screen : choose the file to convert, choose the Blackberry (for example Blackberry Curve 8300 400kbps), choose the destination filename, and choose the ratio if need be (for instance some youtube FLV videos are defaulted to 16:9 instead of 4:3). then one more click and the conversion begins. I like mp4 : better quality than 3gp, and can be viewed with a regular Media Player like VLC or Windows Media Player.

hope this helps.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
skatterbrane
My Device: Not Specified

Re: HOWTO : put a video for Blackberry

question: how should I have the settings if I want the audio and video to actually be sync'd?  I used the akme software to convert an MPEG to an MPEG4 (a rock video) and the audio is about two lines ahead of the video.  I think I just need to adjust the settings some how, but not sure what to do to fix this.

The video plays perfectly as an MPEG before it's converted.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

skatterbrane wrote:

question: how should I have the settings if I want the audio and video to actually be sync'd?  I used the akme software to convert an MPEG to an MPEG4 (a rock video) and the audio is about two lines ahead of the video. 

you have to modify the video after it is converted into mp4. I use Virtual Dub (it's free) on my PC.

• Load the file
  • for the audio, don't touch anything.
  • For the video part, select "direct stream copy", then choose "frame rate..." then look if you needto check the third option "Change so video and audio durations match"
  • then File >> Save as AVI an save into another file.
  • you can upload that new file onto your Blackberry.

Please keep me informed!

http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
skatterbrane

Xandrex, thank you for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

I tried to load the MP4 into virtual dub and it said "MPEG-1 contains an invalid frame rate (0)."  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

it is strange. What is the framerate you chose when you first created the mp4 ? Usual values are 15fps, 25fps, 29fps, 30fps.
can you install G-Spot and see if it sees something strange ?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
skatterbrane

I was using 15fps, but that was what came up when I selected the output file format as blackberry curve 400 kbps.  Should I increase that?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

skatterbrane wrote:
I was using 15fps, but that was what came up when I selected the output file format as blackberry curve 400 kbps.  Should I increase that?
when audio and video lose sync, it can mean three things :
  • when you encoded the file, the audio was with VB (variable bitrate) and the dync went not well
  • when you encoded the file, the audio was CBT (constant bitrate) but there was a delay in the processing
  • whe you decode the file, your player struggles because it lacks CPU
It it's the third case, you should lower the quality of the video part (using 300kbps).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
skatterbrane

Changing the output file format to the 300 kbps worked -- audio and video sync'd perfectly!

You're a genius -- thanks again!!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Cool info. Thanks for sharing.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

The Blackberry Support Technical Center published and article about that topic :

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05419

Please use plain text.