Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dundun7619
My Device: Not Specified

Re: HOWTO : put a video for Blackberry

I have tried many of the converters outthere to convert my rmvb file.

It is really unfortunate none of them actually work. 

This is kinda frustrated..

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

did you try converting it using VLC ?

otherwise, you can use camstudio and record what is displayed in the window of your RMVB player. It's free.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
epathchina

Hello, xandrex! i am very glad to see the thread you post again.The themes that you post in BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry 9500 Series Smartphone is really beautiful, some of the treads that you post is really useful for me, Thank You!

Blackberry Storm
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PerfectReign

For this, I use mencoder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEncoder) - the command-line of MPlayer.

Here's what I've been using. I need to put it in a shell script...

mencoder -vf scale=240:-10 <input file> -o <output file>.mp4 -of avi -ofps 15 -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=230:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64 -delay +1

The delay flag slows down audio or speeds up audio - in this case my video was one second behind the audio, so I sped it up.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kt71
My Device: 8320

I'm sure I know the answer to this but is there some kind of software that can be downloaded to my actual phone that can be used to convert videos on the phone to store, rather than having to do it on my computer then transfer it over to my BB?

Thanks for any advice or help! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
PerfectReign

Replying to my own message... On the Ubuntu forums, I was pointed to a program called WinFF. http://winff.org/html_new/ - this allows you to drop a movie into the program, and have it convert to whatever format. They have presets for blackberry, which I've used now successfully. They had a preset for the Curve, which worked just fine on my 8310 (is that a curve?) unit. http://code.google.com/p/winff/wiki/Presets I just transcoded a full-length movie last night using it and copied it over to my sd card. It works flawlessly.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PerfectReign

I doubt you'd want to convert on the handheld unit. You have way more processing power on a computer.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
DIegoR
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Specifically on Linux (but also on Win and Mac) the Handbrake app can be used to convert for BB. If you have a relatviely recent BB just use the "iPhone and iPod" preset of the Handbrake. This is a graphical tool (available as a command line too) and is very easy to use. It can convert directly from a DVD.

Just keep in mind the developers in the help forum are not especially friendly, but hopefully you will not need any support as it is intuitive enough.

Please use plain text.
sy737

hi, i am new to this forum and a BB 9700 user.  I used akme ffmpeg transcoder to convert a HD flv file to MPEG4 format. However, after the conversion, the audio part lagged behind for like 1-2 seconds. Is there anymore settings that I need to do? *the output file format was based on the Blackberry 9000 Bold High Quality..it's the only series nearest to 9700 I could find*

On another note, during the conversion of the files, I saw this sentence in the DOS:

[h264 @ 6C19BE80] brainfart cropping not supported, this could look slightly wrong....

Please help. Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

sy737 wrote:

I used akme ffmpeg transcoder to convert a HD flv file to MPEG4 format. However, after the conversion, the audio part lagged behind for like 1-2 seconds.

When the audio lags behind the video, two possible causes :

cause 1 : it's because the encoder did a bad job. To verify this you can simply try and read the video with VideoLan Client or with GOM player or Media Player Classic.

cause 2 : it's because the CPU reading the video is not fast enough. This happens often :

• when the video has a definition different from the definition of the screen (you are using a Bold 9700 so the width of the video should be 480 pixels, you can check that with your favourite media player on your PC, of with GSpot Appliance.
  • Another explanation is that the quality of the encoding is too high. I have a rule of thumb to know the best bitrate to use for video. If the original video takes X pixels in width, and if A is the bitrate for the video part of the file, then the matching bitrate for your video, if you reencode it to 480 pixels of width, would be : (480/X)² * A.

so let's say you have a 640x480 video with a video bitrate of 1000kbps, and want to reencode it to a Bold2 video, then you should apply a bitrate of (480/640)² * 1000 = 563kbps.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.