Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HUGE WARNING- Do not turn on mobile network in Sweden, if you want to use wifi calling.. TELIA is a MOFO co..

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm on the US TMobile network and Im using a Bold 9900 from USA. I'm in Sweden visiting for a couple weeks.

I have been using wifi calling over UMA for the last week. Yesterday morning I my phone lost the wifi calling capability..

I do not know what other providers forces this on you, but if you log on to Telias network in Sweden, they will disable your wifi calling over UMA. I just had this happen to me, and my only recourse is to reinstall the OS on my phone.

I have wasted countless hours trying to figure this out, and an employee in a Telia store looked it up online and told me that they push that update, since they don't allow UMA calling..

My fault was that I let my phone run out of power, and when I restarted it, the mobile network came on, without me having selected it. Once it registered on Telia, I was screwed!

I wonder if it is even legal for Telia to change that on my phone, without my explicit approval.

Anyway, please spread the word about this issue, so not others get screwed by Telia...

/G

Solutions: 6,097
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HUGE WARNING- Do not turn on mobile network in Sweden, if you want to use wifi calling.. TELIA is a MOFO co..

I guess the solution for you, would have been to remain roaming and not to login to another network, as it is each individual network providers' right to limit certain features not allowed ON their network (same as UMA won't work on ATT in the USA).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: HUGE WARNING- Do not turn on mobile network in Sweden, if you want to use wifi calling.. TELIA is a MOFO co..

JSanders wrote:

I guess the solution for you, would have been to remain roaming and not to login to another network, as it is each individual network providers' right to limit certain features not allowed ON their network (same as UMA won't work on ATT in the USA).

Thus what I said about them having the right to limit me on their network, but they don't have the right to limit my phone. What  if I would like to use them for roaming while not having access to wifi, then switch back to wifi again?This is their way to force me to use them for all calling and blocking me from using wifi at all!

I don't dispute their right to block the feature on their network. But they should make it a software block on their server, not making changes to my phone...

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

1viking wrote:

I don't dispute their right to block the feature on their network. But they should make it a software block on their server, not making changes to my phone...

the way they can do it is not through their server (since you're using WiFi you are not going through their servers obviously...).

The only way they can do that is by removing the specific service books when you connect using their SIM card.

To gain back the Wifi ability, you simply have to use a SIM card that will send you those service books. This works if both following conditions are matched:

• the SIM card you use is subscribed to a BlackBerry data plan that allows you to do WiFi
  • the SIM card is in its country

meaning if you try to use your home SIM card (through roaming), it won't work.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Solutions: 6,097
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

1viking wrote:
This is their way to force me to use them for all calling and blocking me from using wifi at all!

Exactly, that's it. I'm not defending it, but just telling you like it is. Your phone is on their network, they have the right to push or remove features not compatible with their network. if you don't like their policies, don't connect to their network.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code