Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
ricjacques
My Device: Curce 9380
My Carrier: Bouygyues Telecom

Help topic KB20055

A question please,

In help sheet KB20055 there exists the following sentence " If the BlackBerry smartphone does not have data coverage before authenticating to the BlackBerry Infrastructure over Wi-Fi, the permissions needed in the host routing table will not exist and the BlackBerry smartphone will be unable to send and receive email messages through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server"

If the device was ROAMING prior to authenticating to the infrastructure over wifi, would the permissions possibly still not exist?

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the reason why mine won't authenticate.  I have a global data plan (apparently) but simply cannot connect to BIS over wifi.  It's a new phone which was delivered prior to the data plan being activated, I am now in UAE working and so that is where the phone first connected.  Using roaming GPRS all works good.  I'm just wondering if the service book to access BIS over wifi maybe needs a 3g connection in my home country before it can be sent??

Any thoughts?

Ric

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help topic KB20055

Hello,

Your suspicion is correct. ALL BBs must be activated for BIS while the BB is actually running on the home network...BIS activation typically cannot occur while the BB is roaming on a non-home network. The home network is responsible for authenticating the device and delivering all HRT/SB entries...but to do so, the BB must be running on that home network. To my understanding, there is no way to activate a BB on BIS while it is roaming.

As for BES, that depends on BIS also already being properly activated...so BIS activation would be a prerequisite for BES activation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ricjacques
My Device: Curce 9380
My Carrier: Bouygyues Telecom

Re: Help topic KB20055

Thanks for that - my BIS did activate OK, it all works when I use the 3G network to connect but then I'm charged 11 euro per megabyte for roaming data. 

I'll wait til I get back home and see what happens then.

Ric

Please use plain text.