Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

How To: Setup custom message notifications.

[ Edited ]

Hey Everyone,

You can create custom message notifications using your profiles application on your BlackBerry smartphone.

In this example, we're creating a customer SMS notification on a version 4.5 BlackBerry smartphone.  The process for 4.6 and 4.7 BlackBerry smartphones follows the same steps.

screenshot 1.JPGFirst, open profiles and go to Advanced...

screenshot 2.JPGNext, press the menu button and choose New Profile

Screenshot 3.JPGName the Profile, in this case we called it Test SMS and choose SMS

screenshot 4.JPGConfigure the notification as desired.  Click back until you get the the Profiles menu and save when prompted.

screenshot 5.JPGPress the menu button and choose New Exception.

screenshot 6.JPGName your Exception, in this case, Test Exception.  Press the menu button and choose Add Name to select a contact from your Address Book.  Change the Use Profile field to your newly created profile, in this case, Test SMS.

Click back and save when prompted.  At the bottom of the Profiles menu, you will see your exception under "Use Active Profile Except For:" with a check next to it.

For BlackBerry smartphones running 5.0, the message alerts can be set when editing a contact in the Address Book.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: How To: Setup custom message notifications.

Thanks for the info Cpt_Sweatpants.

I'm using it for quite long time but not ringing rather for opposite purpose :smileywink:

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmt92
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

When I click on "Edit" it just stays on the profile screen...???

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lasorrows
My Device: Smart phone 8820
My Carrier: At&T

I think this would prob be quite beneficial....i am only a 24 hours' old BB user and i am sorta clue less on these things as of yet....but please explain (in simple terms) the following: One would create this new profile to contain what?  Personal Downloads for alerts/ notifications/ringers that are not "factory?" and then if that Is what the new profile is for - how and where to you download those things?? in other words- from what type of sites?  thnx  - sorry i am so BLONDE!! LOL 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

lasorrows wrote:

I think this would prob be quite beneficial....i am only a 24 hours' old BB user and i am sorta clue less on these things as of yet....but please explain (in simple terms) the following: One would create this new profile to contain what?  Personal Downloads for alerts/ notifications/ringers that are not "factory?" and then if that Is what the new profile is for - how and where to you download those things?? in other words- from what type of sites?  thnx  - sorry i am so BLONDE!! LOL 

a "notifications profile" is a set of notifications.

• you can for example for when you are in the office, use a serious ringtone for phone calls, but keep the device silent for SMS or WLM.
  • you can use another profile for when you are at home, and use a casual ringtone of Lady Gaga, as well as a Metallica riff just for SMS and Google Chat
  • and set another profile for when you are in the subway, where you want a ringing & vibrating notification for emails, SMS, calendar events and so on.
  • you can also set a silent profile for when you are at the movies, but still get the led notification so you can text with your friends if the movie is boring.

if you create one profile for each part of your life, then you can simply choose one profile that better suits where you are.

now, for any profile (an existing one, or a new one), for every notification,you can set up what you want to happen : LED blinking, ringing, vibrating. For example, you can decide that emails are silent, but BBm has sound for example.

For any notification, you can choose a ringtone, or a music. You can :

• use the ones provided by RIM and that are available when you opened the box (the "factory" ones),
  • or download your own ringtones from the internet. Just type "ringtones download" in Google Web to find millions of websites. You can even ask a friend to send you her ringtone by Bluetooth, or by email.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AGhtutoo
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: no

Thanks BB :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ndottech
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

Thanks for the info !

Please use plain text.