Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Heidisa
My Device: Device Type: Curve 8520; Device OS: BlackBerry OS5; Carrier: VodaCom SA
Accepted Solution

How to get a new BB Protect number for my phone

My bb protect cannot download on my phone, as it has already been downloaded (not by me).

Now I do not have the functionality of bb protect. Can I be reissued with a new IM number for my phone so that I can download and make use of bb protect feature on my phone?

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: How to get a new BB Protect number for my phone

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it already installed on your phone? Or did you get the phone from someone who had previously used it for work on BES?

If it's the latter, there may be an IT policy on the phone which is preventing you from downloading and installing BlackBerry Protect. If that's the case, follow the instructions in the following link to remove the IT policy and hopefully get up and running with it:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202

I hope this info helps, but if not, please pass along more info so that we can assist more.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
Heidisa
My Device: Device Type: Curve 8520; Device OS: BlackBerry OS5; Carrier: VodaCom SA

Hi, Thank you for your reply!

I bought the phone, it is brand new. I did not know about the bb protect feature and later on experienced email facility difficulties, I took the phone to my Service Provider to reload software and they made me aware that I as owner of the bb do not have bb protect on my phone, but that my phone shows that it is downloaded, So someone else has my bb protect functionality and I cant access it.

Can I be reissued with new im number / or what do u suggest? How do I go about getting this security feature working for me?

Regards,

Heidi

Elite I
Krypto

Hi Heidi,

BlackBerry Protect uses your BlackBerry ID info to log in, so you should just be able to use that. On your phone, go to Options > Applications (I think that's how it should appear on the Curve 8520, but it's been a while, so if that's not it, let me know). Look for the listing for BlackBerry Protect. If it's there, highlight it, press the BB Menu button and select Delete. Once it has been deleted, reboot the phone (you should be prompted to do this, or if not, remove the battery for 15-30 seconds, reinsert and wait for the device to reboot). Then, download it through App World. It should appear in your Downloads or Application folder after.

If for some reason you still don't see the BlackBerry Protect icon anywhere, go to your homescreen, then press the BB Menu button and select "Show All". You should now see all icons, including those that are hidden. When you find the icon, highlight it, press the BB Menu button and take the check mark off of Hide. You can then uncheck Show All in the menu as well.

Then, open BlackBerry Protect. You should be prompted to enter your BlackBerry ID. If you have never created a BlackBerry ID before, create one.

I hope this info helps out, but there should be no need to get a new IM number or anything like that as BlackBerry Protect doesn't use an IM number.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
Heidisa

My bb protect icon shows on my phone under the main menu fiction. When entering it gives the option to download. It shows download bar and then says successfully downloaded onto your phone. But the it does not prompt me for pin/code and if I go out and go back in it said downloading again and does not ask me for pin. The functionality of the bb protect is not on my phone. I cannot access bb protect, my SP [service provider] said that the functionality has been downloaded on another device / place and that i cannit access it because I dint have control over the function.

What should I do?

Options given when highlighting the bb protect icon: move; move to folder; hide; options; add folder; switch application > that's it

thank you for assisting me, please lets try and get this right, appreciated!!

Elite I
Krypto

Your carrier is wrong when they say that its been downloaded already on another device and that's why you can't download it. I don't know why they're saying that, but its not true.

When you download BlackBerry Protect, it shouldn't ask you for your PIN or any code. The only time it should require any input is the first time you open it (it may ask you to input your BlackBerry ID email and password, but that's all).

Instead of downloading it via icon on your screen, open BlackBerry App World and search for BlackBerry Protect there and then download it from BlackBerry App World. At least that can offer an alternative method. If you still have problems getting it to work, please let me know.

Contributor
Heidisa

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that your last post to me was spot-on!

Many thanks for assisting and helping!

All functionality, now in my control.

Elite I
Krypto

That is excellent news! Thanks for the update!

Contributor
Heidisa

Hi Krypto,

Can you help me to Locate my bb

it dissappeared from my house yesterday.

what do i need to give you to assist me to locate and retrieve my bb

Heidisa

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Krypto is offline at the moment.  Will you allow me to help you?

To locate your phone, from your PC go to www.blackberry.com/protect .  Log in using your BlackBerry ID and you'll see the option to locate your phone from there.

Please let us know if that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.