Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
steveuk1234
My Carrier: Tmobile

I lost my bbm contacts when i updated my software on Blackberry Bold 9900

Can anybody help ? - i updated my software and it said that it was saving all my data, and now i have lost all my bbm contacts - how do i get them back? thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: I lost my bbm contacts when i updated my software on Blackberry Bold 9900

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Two questions:

1) Exactly what method of update did you perform? On device? USB tether via the Desktop Software? USB tether via the Update website? Some other method? If on-device, then there will be no backup file from which to restore...if via USB, then there might be.

2) Were you on BBM7 before you started the update? If so, then your BBM contacts are supposed to have been automatically backed up "to the cloud" and should auto-repopulate.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveuk1234

i updated simply by putting the cable into my bb and into my desktop and it said there was a software update available so i clicked on it

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveuk1234

i updated to software 7

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm sorry, I still do not understand exactly what you did...from what you describe, you could have used the Update website OR the Desktop Software, but you didn't say...

But, if you used your PC at all, then as I said there might be a chance. Search your hard drive for IPD and BBB files...inspect the date/time of the results. Any created around the time you did the update are candidates for using as the source of restore...you would restore only the database for BBM Contacts...nothing else.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveuk1234

thanks, how do i search my hard drive - i am not too good with computers !!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh...then that's going to be a problem...there are a lot of steps to try, and they require basic computer knowledge skills. I might recommend that you perhaps find someone to help at this point...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steveuk1234

OK thanks

Please use plain text.