Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Joe_MM
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom

Is it true vodacom is screwing BB users over?

Hi

This concerns SA vodacom users

I read an article saying that vodacom has identified BIS "abusers" as those who exceed 100mb per month, and as a result have decided to drastically reduce our internet speed. Currently, when I download on my 9300 curve, I get ecstatic if I can reach a speed of 10kb/s, even at around midnight, so u can understand why I believe these claims easily.

I remember sometime last year vodacom wanted to increase BIS to R90, after obvious disapproval by customers they considered capping the service to 100mb per month instead. Vodacom later claimed to abandon these drastic solutions for us "abusers" all together, so if the above claims are true it amounts to misrepresentation.

If anyone knows anything about this please engage me.

Ps. 100mb per month is about 3.4 mb per day, who the hell is willing to pay R2 per day for 3.4mb of data??? FOH Vodacom!
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is it true vodacom is screwing BB users over?

A carrier is free to offer whatever data packages it wants to.  With that data, the carrier also controls the speed at which it will travel.  Slowing down, or "throttling" heavy  users is a common practice worldwide and is used by many carriers.  Is Vodacom doing this to its users?  Maybe yes, maybe no, but keep in mind that it's technologically possible and is being done already by other carriers.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.