Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to prevent a Blackberry SIM from working in other smartphones?

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Just a quick question here - we've tested and found that a SIM card with an iPhone/Android data plan on it won't work in Blackberry (at least not the data portion) but is there a way to prevent a card associated with a BES/BIS data plan from working in other Smartphones?  The data use is the big issue for us.

I know this should be as simple as telling our users they're forbidden to do so, but... they're users, and we've had a few go a bit rogue...

Thanks

Environment:  Bell Mobility, BESX, ActiveSync

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Is there a way to prevent a Blackberry SIM from working in other smartphones?

[ Edited ]

Hi Sparq,

Current BlackBerry smartphones require access to BIS or BES, which requires special data plans, which is why the iPhone/Android data plans don't work, but as far as I know, the same restriction doesn't exist going the other way. Your best bet would be to call your service provider (in your case, Bell?) and see if they have the ability to apply a restriction on their end. That's really the best chance you'd have for blocking them out.

Of course, if it's a serious enough issue, your company's CEO and management team could make it an offense that could result in the termination of a position as it technically could be considered theft of company assests.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is there a way to prevent a Blackberry SIM from working in other smartphones?

That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation. I'll check with Bell, but I suspect it'll be something we have to regulate by a user agreement.