Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Twid58
My Device: 9320
Accepted Solution

Locked Handset

My 9300 suddenly won't accept my BlackBerry ID password although I know it is the correct one. I tried resetting it with the forgotten password link but that didn't work, so reset it on the Blackberry website via my iPad. Can log in successfully on the iPad and managed to verify the ID in BlackBerry protect just once and it performed a back up. My handset is now locked and I have used up 9 of my 10 tries at unlocking but the phone will not accept this new password, and I am in danger of all my data being erased. What can I do please. If I try again and the data is erased will I then gain access to my handset and be able to perform a reinstall of data from the website.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Locked Handset

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From your post, I am left with confusion. Failing a BB ID credential authenticate does not wipe a BB clean:

• KB24157 BlackBerry ID lockout behavior

On the other hand, failing the device lock password does indeed wipe the BB clean.

So I am a bit confused as to exactly what your issue is, for the symptoms and words you have used are intermingling these two very separate items.

Please clarify.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Twid58

Thanks for getting back to me.  Perhaps if I explain more fully you will understand the problem more fully.

Two days ago I got a notification that BlackBerry Protect needed me to verify my ID - not a problem I thought and put in my password (which I knew was correct).  Said id didn't recognise the password, put it in three more times and then thought perhaps I ought to reset it so used the Forgotten Password option.  Tried to do this on my handset and it wouldn't reset so tried on my ipad which worked.  Then tried to input the new password in Protect on my handset - not recognised.  Logged in again on the website and that went OK.  Finally managed to get Protect to accept the new password and it immediately did a back up.  The following morning however, when I tried to access my emails I got the handset locked warning on the screen.  Once again the password was not accepted and I have now used 9 out of 10 attempts and am in danger of having the data erased.

If the data is erased, will the handset then be unlocked and I can do a restore from the BB Protect back up?

Shelley

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Twid58 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.  Perhaps if I explain more fully you will understand the problem more fully.

Two days ago I got a notification that BlackBerry Protect needed me to verify my ID - not a problem I thought and put in my password (which I knew was correct).  Said id didn't recognise the password, put it in three more times and then thought perhaps I ought to reset it so used the Forgotten Password option.  Tried to do this on my handset and it wouldn't reset so tried on my ipad which worked.  Then tried to input the new password in Protect on my handset - not recognised.  Logged in again on the website and that went OK.  Finally managed to get Protect to accept the new password and it immediately did a back up.

OK...so all of that has to do with Protect and BB ID, and from what you describe, all sounds fine now.

Twid58 wrote:

The following morning however, when I tried to access my emails I got the handset locked warning on the screen.  Once again the password was not accepted and I have now used 9 out of 10 attempts and am in danger of having the data erased.

So this one sounds, from your description, like your user-created device lock password, which indeed will wipe your BB clean of everything if you fail the 10 times. There is no master or override password for this -- only the user-created device lock password can unlock the BB and prevent the WIPE.

Twid58 wrote:

If the data is erased, will the handset then be unlocked and I can do a restore from the BB Protect back up?

Yes, as long as you, after the WIPE completes and the BB reboots, use the exact same BB ID Credentials as already exist.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Twid58

But I have no idea what the password is unless it's my BB ID password as I have not set any other passwords or codes.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Then I need to you very explicitly say exactly what the screen shows when it's prompting for this password. From what you have so far described, I deduced it to be the device lock password -- which only the user can create. If you did not do so (are you sure someone else didn't do this for you?), then I may be incorrect in my deduction. A clear description from you may help me understand. Pictures posted here would help as well.

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Twid58

It worked!  Thanks so much for your help - I couldn't have done it without you. 

Shelley

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent! You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Twid58

Wonder if you can help me again.  I'm back in but my contacts don't restore from the last blackberry protect backup which happened yesterday.  It's brought back all my email contacts but not the phone ones and I'm lost without them.  Any ideas on how I can get them back?

Shelley

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sure...refer:

• KB25063 How to use BlackBerry Protect to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone

Assuming you followed that procedure, then whatever was backed up was restored. But, I can't tell what the difference is between what you say are you "email contacts" versus your "phone ones". Can you perhaps expand on that a little bit more?

BB Protect would have backed up everything that was contained in the on-device Contact List/Address Book app. If, for example, these "phone ones" were stored somewhere else, then that could explain why they didn't restore (because they didn't back up). But, again, I can't yet tell...

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates