Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
iperks2
My Device: 9900

Lost Phone and how to suspend PIN

My friend just lost her phone and her Service provider said they can't do anything to help.

Aren't they supposed to be able to Disable/Suspend the PIN of the lost device so that the "new owner"
can't even log onto BB network?

Now I am actually receiving BBM messages from the "new owner" asking me who I am.

Now my friend is wondering how she can compel her Provider into blocking PIN from BB servers so that the "new owner" can't access sensitive info she kept on phone.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Lost Phone and how to suspend PIN

Any carrier can, and should, suspend the phone's PIN to prevent further use.  In addition, she should also request that her SIM card in the phone be suspended as well.  Many carriers will also suspend the phone's IMEI, making it impossible to use the phone again for any purpose.

At the very least they should be suspending the PIN and SIM for her.  She needs to call them back and tell them to do so.  I hope that helps you (and her).  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
iperks2
My Device: 9900

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I first thought any carrier should do such a thing.

This happens in UK by the way. The carrier said because my friend has not fulfil her contract terms (few months left) they are not allowed to block the PIN. I find this explanation very ridiculous.

Anyway, a police report has been made (even they felt the carrier's explanation is dumb).

But at the moment, the "new owner" is still enjoying her fone and even started placing new profile pictures of her/himself (presumably).

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

First of all, somebody needs to report this carrier.  There is NO reason a phone's PIN and/or IMEI cannot be blocked due to a contract still in force.  They block the PIN, they get her a new phone (either at her expense or theirs....that's not the issue here) and she continues her contract under the new PIN.

I honestly think she should be persuing this with the carrier.  Someone else using HER phone to post THEIR personal information is unacceptable.  Please encourage her to pursue this with her carrier, to the point of asking to speak to a manager or supervisor.  If she gets nowhere with them, it might be time to look for a new carrier with whom to do business.

Please keep us up to date on your progress.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Trudi_Jozi
My Device: BlacBerry Bold 9700 Bold

I lost my BlackBerry 9700 Bold on 6 June 2012 or it was stolen - not sure. Anyway I got  my SIM Card swapped with my carrier but they could not blacklist my IMEI because I did not purchase my handset in South Africa but at a duty free shop at the airport. The carrier says that the South African system does not carry that range of numbers. Is there a way someone somewhere can block the PIN and IMEI so that it cannot be used., I know that whoever has the phone now has it on and it is live as we can ping my PIN number and it is active on BBM. Any assistance will be appreciated. I am already looking into acquiring a new handset but I want to put a damper on who found it as they could have returned it by calling a number on the contact list to find out who is the owner of this phone.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Trudi_Jozi wrote:

I lost my BlackBerry 9700 Bold on 6 June 2012 or it was stolen - not sure. Anyway I got  my SIM Card swapped with my carrier but they could not blacklist my IMEI because I did not purchase my handset in South Africa but at a duty free shop at the airport. The carrier says that the South African system does not carry that range of numbers. Is there a way someone somewhere can block the PIN and IMEI so that it cannot be used., I know that whoever has the phone now has it on and it is live as we can ping my PIN number and it is active on BBM. Any assistance will be appreciated. I am already looking into acquiring a new handset but I want to put a damper on who found it as they could have returned it by calling a number on the contact list to find out who is the owner of this phone.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

This post should be helpful to your situation:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
AliceSule
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700 RCM71UW

My blackberry 9700 has been stolen. This happened Saturday 21 June 2014. Please can the device be blocked as I have very private information in it.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

AliceSule wrote:
My blackberry 9700 has been stolen. This happened Saturday 21 June 2014. Please can the device be blocked as I have very private information in it.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sorry for your loss...please scroll up and read, especially the post just above yours, with a link to a thread with all of the information you need.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.