Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
bnolan001
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

MMS/SMS message ringtone goes off but no message appears

I've been battling this problem for several months now.  For some reason, occassionaly when I get a text message the ringtone goes off but I don't see any message in my message inbox.  If I have an idea who sent it I'll text them to resend it and then the second time it comes through.  This happens for both SMS and MMS messages and from people who I text all the time.  I've tried pulling the battery multiple times but that didn't help.  I thought the latest OS update from Verizon would help but it didn't.  I've checked my memory and I still have plenty of memory left on the device.  I am starting to delete Apps I don't regularly use but that hasn't helped yet.  Does anyone else have any ideas?  One other weird thing that happened before the update from Verizon but not since then is that when I'd send a text to a single person, if there was a previous time when I had sent or received a text from them and several others were included in that text, then the new text would be associated with that group instead of the individual person.

Here is what I'm using:

BlackBerry Bold 9930 OS 7.1 Bundle 1737 on Verizon

Aces 3D Pool

AP Mobile World Edition

Bejeweled

BeWeather

BB App World/BB Application Resource Monitor/BB Bridge/BB Device Analyzer/BB Maps/BB News/BB Protect/BB S/MIME/BB Traffic/BB Travel/BB Wallet/BrickBreaker

Bubble Bash

Dropbox

Endomondo Sports Tracker

Evernote

Facebook

Fixmo Tools

Flashlight

Google Maps

GPSLogger II

IM Plus lite

Kayak Travel

Kobo

Mahjong Solitaire

Mobile Mason

My Verizon

Next Dual Pack

Nobex Radio

Pandora

Password Keeper

Photo Editor Ultimate

Poynt

QR Code Scanner

ScoreMobile

Shazam Encore

SimCity Delux

Slacker Radio

Southwest Airlines

This Sims 3

The Weather Channel

Twitter

UNO

V Cast Song ID

Wikitude

Weather Pilot

YouTube

Zillow Real Estate

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: MMS/SMS message ringtone goes off but no message appears

How much free application memory do you have? Look in Options and type 'memory' in the search bar and post the number next to free "application memory."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bnolan001

I have 55.6 MB free.

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That's actually low for the 9930. My guess is your memory is running down to zero and the device will delete messages when it runs out of memory. You have one of the longest lists of 3rd party apps I've seen in quite a while.

Reboot the device and let me know what the free memory is then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bnolan001

Rebooted and deleted three apps and now at 74.7MB.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

That's still relatively low. Personally, I have 150MB free after a reboot. After about 2-3 days my free memory can run down into the teens and if I do nothing it will eventually run to zero. It's called "memory leak" and it is something that BlackBerry devices have done for as long as I can remember.

If you're going to load that many apps you are likely going to have to reboot on a daily basis otherwise your device will delete text/sms messages, call logs, calendar events, etc. in order to keep the device running and not crash when memory gets very low.
Please use plain text.
Developer
bnolan001

I don't think memory is the problem.  I rebooted the phone last night after removing a few more apps and just now the problem occurred again.  This time I checked the memory and I have 92.5MB free.  I wonder if I may have too many texts from the person?  There are probably hundreds of messages with lots of pictures included in the messages.  Maybe I'm hitting a size limit?

Please use plain text.